They're hatching 😆also I need hatchaholics to answer a question!

Pics

Everose

ɪ ᴀᴍ ᴄʀᴇᴀᴛɪᴏɴ, ʙᴏᴛʜ ʜᴀᴜɴᴛᴇᴅ ᴀɴᴅ ʜᴏʟʏ.
Premium Feather Member
Jan 16, 2021
The Great Country of Texas
I'm so excited right now! The silver appleyard eggs are hatching! Everything is great, humidity is fine and they're pipping, talking, and responding to my voice! But one duckling popped out really fast! It has what looks like an umbelical cord and little sac still attached to it's tummy, should I be worried?
20210517_172710.jpg
the little sac is next to the other eggs, the long stringy pink thing is still attached. This is the first time I've seen such a weird thing on a baby. I was also VERY surprised at how fast this Lil guy pipped and popped!

I'm so excited right now! The silver appleyard eggs are hatching! Everything is great, humidity is fine and they're pipping, talking, and responding to my voice! But one duckling popped out really fast! It has what looks like an umbelical cord and little sac still attached to it's tummy, should I be worried?View attachment 2674673the little sac is next to the other eggs, the long stringy pink thing is still attached. This is the first time I've seen such a weird thing on a baby. I was also VERY surprised at how fast this Lil guy pipped and popped!
That little string shouldn't be a problem. Does his navel look ok? Keep him on a soft surface so he doesn't rip it open on anything. Don't cut it, it should dry up and fall off on its own.
Congratulations on the babies, fingers crossed that the rest of your hatch goes smoothly!!!!!

That's the top of the shell with what looks like left over membrane. A lot of mine left behind membrane that had consistency of mucus. But all of them were fine. I even had a couple that hatched with the umbilical like that. It dried about two hours after my duckling was dried and floofed nicely. Just keep a look out on your duckling and make sure it doesn't start bleeding from the umbilical area.

Ok, I had been worried that the cord would be a breeding ground for bacteria and an easy way to bleed if it was ripped off.
I know some tie it off about half an inch away from the belly button so it dries faster and that way it's less risk from bacteria. But the two I had hatch like this ended up being fine. Then again, I put them in a fresh incubator to dry faster.

Okay the Lil guy is on a paper towel and the funky stuff is on a paper towel in the picture below.View attachment 2674718I opened the incubator very briefly but we have other ducklings in there that have pipped, the temp and humidity are back up and it's only been a minute since I opened it, the other ducklings will be okay right? How long does it take for them to become shrink-wrapped?

The gross stuff is egg waste and perfectly normal. The cord will dry and fall off on its own. Was the navel closed properly?

The gross stuff is egg waste and perfectly normal. The cord will dry and fall off on its own. Was the navel closed properly?
As much as I wanted to look and even take pictures of the navel, I had a very upset person (her name starts with Mom) breathing down my neck because I opened the incubator in the first place, so I didn't get the chance to check. Once they've all hatched successfully I will be allowed to open the incubator again. So far the duckling is doing good though, hopping around, talking, telling the other guys to hurry up.

Back
Top Bottom