1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They're hatching on day 17 in the egg turner at 20% humidity! Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by InsaneBreeder, Dec 1, 2011.

1. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    I have absolutely no clue how it happened, and I know I didn't miscalculate, but I have three pips on day 17. The eggs are still in the turner, the humidity is around 20%, and I don't want to open the incubator to remove the turner or add water because I have 34 other eggs in there. What should I do? Should I leave it, and hope for the best, or remove the turner and add water to the trays in a humid environment?

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

If you need to add water, is there any way you can put a straw through the vent holes on top and drip water through it? I happen to use that method with a squeeze bottle. Good luck. Unplug turner if possible.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  3. InsaneBreeder

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    Quote:I did unplug the turner, and I'll try the straw method. Thanks for your opinion [​IMG]

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Since it's just one day before lockdown anyway, I would get everything ready so you can do it quickly - then take out the turner, up the humidity and start lockdown a day early. However, I've only done two hatches. So hopefully someone with lots more experience can give you some advice. Good luck!

5. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Quote:Sounds like your temperatures may have been higher than they should, which causes the chicks to develop
    faster, if you didn't miscalculate the time they were put into the incubator.

If it were me, I would throw in a wet sponge/rag real quick, get the humidity up some more. And unplug the
    turner. it's to late to take the turner completely out, if you already have pips. They should be able to hatch
    fine in the turner. Good luck! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Check your thermometer. If your temperature was running high your hatch could be early. I would also bump up the humidity.

7. InsaneBreeder

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    I now have the humidity at almost 60%, and there are several more pips and one hatched so far (although, it's probably going to have to sit in its eggshell until the end), so it seems to be going well, despite the extreme low humidity when they started to hatch, as well as all throughout the preceding days. My thermometer has not recorded a higher temperature (that I'm aware of), and it's a 1588 Hovabator, so the temperature should be self-regulatory. Thanks for all the opinions! I really appreciate it [​IMG]

8. UncleTommy

UncleTommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Sanger, CA
    hmmm...where did you get the eggs? maybe they were sitting under a hen for a while and started to develop

9. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    keep your eye out for deformities, such as twisted toes.

at least in the experience of some with much experience (authors, for example) high bator temps, early hatches, and risk of deformities such as curled toes go together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by