They're HATCHING!!!

CritterFarmer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Ontario
My first time incubating, AND in a homemade incubator..... AND THEY'RE HATCHING!!!

13 eggs in total were set..... so far I have one that hatched last night and looks to be very healthy and happy and there are 3 more pipped right now, with one zipped about 1/4 of the way around and several other eggs are rocking and rolling.

I can't believe it worked!

Now the hard part..... to keep the nosey cat in check! All of a sudden this white styrofoam box has become VERY interesting to her! atleast I DID have the foresight to wire-over the vent holes to keep her little paws out!

Congrats on your first homemade bator and your first hatch , be careful it is very addictive
smile.png

edited : cause i can't spell

Last edited by a moderator:
The one chick that hatched is quite energetic now. Not completely dry, but pretty close. As it stumbles around the incubator it's turning the other eggs over that are hatching. Any harm in this?

Quote:
Congrats on your babies!!! I am my second day, first timer also.
fl.gif
i was reading on another thread about the hatchling playing with the hatching eggs and was told it won't hurt them at all.
thumbsup.gif

My first hatch was this Thur. & Fri. I had one egg that got turned over onto the pip and the baby died. I think it might have suffocated. There were two pipped when I went to bed and the next morning one was dead and the other stuck. So, maybe it would have died anyway.

My advice is to watch and make sure they don't get kicked over where they can't breathe.

ETA: The chicks kicked and rolled the other eggs around all day with no problem, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom