They're HATCHING!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CritterFarmer, Apr 18, 2009.

1. CritterFarmer

CritterFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Ontario
    My first time incubating, AND in a homemade incubator..... AND THEY'RE HATCHING!!!

13 eggs in total were set..... so far I have one that hatched last night and looks to be very healthy and happy and there are 3 more pipped right now, with one zipped about 1/4 of the way around and several other eggs are rocking and rolling.

I can't believe it worked!

Now the hard part..... to keep the nosey cat in check! All of a sudden this white styrofoam box has become VERY interesting to her! atleast I DID have the foresight to wire-over the vent holes to keep her little paws out!

2. slickchick

slickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    Mertztown, Pa
    CONGRATS!!! Isn't it exciting!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  3. Congrats on your first homemade bator and your first hatch , be careful it is very addictive [​IMG]

edited : cause i can't spell

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2009
  4. CritterFarmer

CritterFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Ontario
    The one chick that hatched is quite energetic now. Not completely dry, but pretty close. As it stumbles around the incubator it's turning the other eggs over that are hatching. Any harm in this?

5. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] Go chickys goooo! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Deedee

Deedee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Kilgore, TX
    Quote:Congrats on your babies!!! I am my second day, first timer also. [​IMG] i was reading on another thread about the hatchling playing with the hatching eggs and was told it won't hurt them at all.
    [​IMG]

7. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    My first hatch was this Thur. & Fri. I had one egg that got turned over onto the pip and the baby died. I think it might have suffocated. There were two pipped when I went to bed and the next morning one was dead and the other stuck. So, maybe it would have died anyway.

My advice is to watch and make sure they don't get kicked over where they can't breathe.

ETA: The chicks kicked and rolled the other eggs around all day with no problem, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by