They're Here But SLW is WEAK. Suggestions? Doing GREAT now!

bionic_chicken

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Spring, TX
We picked the 7 of them up from Ideal this afternoon. The ride home went well. When we got them home, I dipped all 7 beaks in the water. They all went nuts, singing, eating, drinking, pooping, except for SLW. She and SBC look younger than the others. SBC came to life over the course of a few hours, but SLW just wants to sleep. I've dipped her beak several times. I've put food at her feet. She has finally half-heartedly drank and pecked. I dipped her beak in sugar water a few times and she swallowed. I thought that might give her a pick-me-up, and it did seem to help, but only a very little. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

They are getting medicated chick starter and clean water. They've been home since 4:30 p.m. CST, and they were kept warm all the way home.

I thought I'd be sharing pics by now, but I'm so worried about this baby girl.
sad.png

Last edited:
They will sleep alot. She probably needs some rest. You could boil an egg and mash it up really good and feed them...put some in the palm of your hand for her to try to eat. Just keep an eye on her. My SLW was the tiny one of the group and she slept a lot the first two days..then she perked up and was the first one to fly up on the brooder side...

At 5 weeks old she is getting out of the hot tub brooder and walking around the house like she owns it...

HPIM2603Small.jpg

PS She looks sorta red because we have a lot of red clay in the yard and she was playing in some of it.

Last edited:
You know, Winnie the SLW, and I probably just needed those words of encouragement! Thank you so much for sending the warm thoughts our way because I slept in the room with the brooder last night, and every time I opened my eyes, she was doing better and better! I was just frightened. They are so sweet and they quickly capture your heart. If there's an inkling that something's wrong it's very scary. Thank you Cetawin for the pic of your SLW - very encouraging!!! I appreciate all the support!

I am glad she is doing good...sometimes they just need a little extra rest and TLC...watch that SLW...they can be a special case. Hahahaha

Mine is spoiled rotten!

Back
Top Bottom