They're here! What are they? (updated pix pg 2)

I don;t think faverolle--for one thing, not on list and for a 2nd, white faverolles are about as rare as hen's teeth.

Sultans have a V-comb as well as 5-toes.

4 looks similar to welsummer chicks on feathersite.

chick.jpg

WOW I FORGOT TO SAY SOMTHING Thats the only reason I thought it was a Fav cause it looks just like one and all the Sultan chicks Ive seen have a little crest...

Sonoran Silkies said:I don;t think faverolle--for one thing, not on list and for a 2nd, white faverolles are about as rare as hen's teeth.

Faverolles have 5 toes and are born light. I would definetly say Faverolle
smile.png

Even though it's not on the list, I vote #1 as Faverolle also. They are born yellow, have 5 toes, foot/leg feathers, & have the beard & muff that chick #1 is sporting. I think there are only about 5 breeds that have 5 toes. Sultans & Houdans have crests - #1 doesn't. Can't be a Dorking as they're clean legged, or a Silkie as they have black skin. Thus, by process of elimination - Ta Dah - Faverolle! I wonder if a Faverolle from a neighboring farm could have managed to get past the fences in order to have a midnight rendezvous with the hatchery hens? This is all speculation but it sure is a lot of fun. I can't wait to see how the little cutie turns out.
country

I just cruised the My Pet Chicken website again...they don't appear to have Salmon Faverolles anywhere. They're pretty so I wouldn't mind a bit, but how odd!

Okay, the chixsters are almost a week old, so I thought it was time for some updated pics! They still look mostly the same, but I got some wing and comb pics to see if those would help.

This is chick #1, who has decided to be some variety of brown...which I think rules out our previous breed guesses.
chix9.jpg

chix10.jpg

chix11.jpg

This is chick #2. I tried to get a comb pic but none of them came out. Moot point because she doesn't HAVE one! There's a flat, narrow area, no raised parts, no ridges, no bumps, nothing.
chix17.jpg

Chick #3, still rocking the 'generic chicken' look.
chix12.jpg

chix14.jpg

Chick #4, who is easily the wildest of the bunch. The wing feathers are coming in almost black, but they're just a little faded.
chix15.jpg

chix16.jpg

And Chick #5.
chix18.jpg

chix19.jpg

Well, if they sent me bantams with my standard rare breed egg-laying assortment, I'm going to be a little miffed!

Back
Top Bottom