They're not gonna go AWOL, are they?

I brood and finish off the chicks in a coop where there is only about a 8" drop to outside so it's easy for them to go in and out. I let them out when they are about 3 weeks old and I let them free range when they reach about 2 months. By that time they know how to get to the border of lilac bushes and back to their coop for food (which is the grower crumbles). I also keep water for them by the bushes where all the age groups get together and get used to each other. I have already had two small flocks combine into 1 larger teenage one, but my layers and their roo stick to themselves, even roosting on different perchs then the teenagers. I currently have 42 of assorted ages from 4 to 7 weeks all together in another junior flock and another 23 in the baby brooder that will be introduced to the other juniors in another week or two.
I use a fishing net and a butterfly net for the chickens. It works to herd them from place to place or great to catch a specific one.

We have 3 EE and 2 Khaki Campbell ducks. The ducks have been in the coop for about 4 nights now. They still have to be placed into the coop each night after being loose in the run each day. Our EE were let out into the run (at8 weeks) after being in the coop for 2 nights. They were enticed with a few crumbles placed on the ramp. Within minutes the EE were up in the coop shortly before dark! Now if the ducks would learn to go to bed at night!

The very next night (day 2 of being allowed in the run) our EE put themselves to bed shortly before dark!
lol.png
Still have to catch those darn Khaki Campbells though!
hmm.png

Last edited:
I was just wondering the same question. I have 7 week old ones that I'm about ready to free range. I supervise free range an hour or two before sunset usually and I think these babies are ready.

I think I'll try first without the big hens and then maybe after a couple of weeks let them try to mix with the big hens. Could be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom