They're on to me lol

sagefox

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 22, 2008
Western PA
For the past few days my 2 favorite silkie hens have been missing.. then when I go back a little later, they're back? And also my eggs dropped from 4 a day to 2? I couldn't figure out where they were hiding out...not that many places to hide in their shed. And just tonite I found their secret spot....they have dug out a nest under one of my rabbit cages and sure enough when I put my hand under the one hen I found a pile of eggs.
hmm.png

So I guess tomorrow I need to set up a space for them to hatch their eggs....away from the others......or should I just leave them under the rabbit cage? I'm afraid when the chicks hatch the roosters will hurt them? Not sure what to do?

I think that's what I have to do...the plan was to section off the shed for all the different breeds as soon as the weather got nice (and considering all the other breeds are still chicks...there wasn't a big hurry). So I'll just have to move the plan up a bit... little rascals...hiding eggs right under my nose LOL
lol.png

I have two hens hiding eggs, also. I worry that they'll still be doing this when I want to let them free range - I'll figure it out when I need to, I guess, LOL.

The really funny thing is, the Rooster seems to be encouraging this behavior - he is finding good hiding spots and watching for me to show up looking for eggs. If he spots me coming, he warns them to get off the hiding spot.

Today the one hen got caught there (by me) When I came back later - after she did her "I laid an Egg" song - I checked the hiding spot and - no egg. I went back an hour later, and she had (quietly) laid one after I left. Sneaky little devil! tee hee.

Peace -
Meriah

Are they broody? Or are they just laying in a different spot. If they arent sitting on them, they wont hatch them...(if you already kknow that..pretend I didnt say it!
lol.png
lol.png
)

Back
Top Bottom