They're on to me lol

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sagefox, Mar 26, 2008.

1. sagefox

sagefox Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2008
    Western PA
    For the past few days my 2 favorite silkie hens have been missing.. then when I go back a little later, they're back? And also my eggs dropped from 4 a day to 2? I couldn't figure out where they were hiding out...not that many places to hide in their shed. And just tonite I found their secret spot....they have dug out a nest under one of my rabbit cages and sure enough when I put my hand under the one hen I found a pile of eggs. [​IMG]
    So I guess tomorrow I need to set up a space for them to hatch their eggs....away from the others......or should I just leave them under the rabbit cage? I'm afraid when the chicks hatch the roosters will hurt them? Not sure what to do?

2. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    if i were you i would set up a safe place for her to hatch and raise her chicks

very exciting:D

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Try and make safe place for her to hatch eggs. How exciting
    [​IMG]

4. sagefox

sagefox Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2008
    Western PA
    I think that's what I have to do...the plan was to section off the shed for all the different breeds as soon as the weather got nice (and considering all the other breeds are still chicks...there wasn't a big hurry). So I'll just have to move the plan up a bit... little rascals...hiding eggs right under my nose LOL [​IMG]

5. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I have two hens hiding eggs, also. I worry that they'll still be doing this when I want to let them free range - I'll figure it out when I need to, I guess, LOL.

The really funny thing is, the Rooster seems to be encouraging this behavior - he is finding good hiding spots and watching for me to show up looking for eggs. If he spots me coming, he warns them to get off the hiding spot.

Today the one hen got caught there (by me) When I came back later - after she did her "I laid an Egg" song - I checked the hiding spot and - no egg. I went back an hour later, and she had (quietly) laid one after I left. Sneaky little devil! tee hee.

Peace -
    Meriah

6. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Are they broody? Or are they just laying in a different spot. If they arent sitting on them, they wont hatch them...(if you already kknow that..pretend I didnt say it! [​IMG][​IMG])

7. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

Here
    is my favorite link all about broody hens. I have a little Serama broody right now on 3 eggs. (I got rid of an inferitle one and a bad one with a blood ring a couple of nights ago). She is due to hatch April 4th. I am so excited because this is all relatively new to me. Best wishes with yours. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by