They're pipping wrong!!

mangled

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
The Wilds of Western PA
ALL OF THEM.

37 white leghorn eggs, a day early and all the pips at the middle of the egg or the small end. We had one temp spike of 106 five days ago. We've had temp spikes in the past but I've never seen them all pip wrong. This is hatch 27 out of my old LG. Never had a problem like this before. Will they hatch all right?

Looks like it's gonna be a LONG night.
sad.png

Em

If your humidity ran a little high during incubation, the chicks can be a little larger than usual in the shell... this will cause their head position to fall more toward the center of the egg... in my experience, the bigger ones will pip, then start the zip, then power pop the top off of the egg! Sometimes you might have to help some of the "fatties" out...
big_smile.png
But most of the time, they can handle it!
wink.png

As of this morning, we've got almost every egg pipped, there's a lot of tapping and chirping, but no one is out yet.

I'm at the Drs now, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be babies out when I get home.

Em

Last edited:
My last hatch was 2 wks ago- all 14 pipped in the middle on the top or the small end- all survived, although I had to help one out.

Back
Top Bottom