They've all gone mad! Whole flock broody!

I really
You may have to create a door of your own. Even then when they do get out for a daily break they might still all try to get back in one box. I might try and eliminate that one nest they all want and see what they do then.
Like that idea!

We've got two buff Orpingtons and 8 black Australorps . Our big buff mamma was first to go followed by one of our Australorps. Id tried blocking it off, but then they started laying eggs in the floor of the coop and I was worried with the circus going on in there that an egg would get cracked and lead to egg eating. I like the separation idea. We've got mid fifties here at night. Do you think it would be too cool for the rest of the flock outside especially as they are missing feathers from our old rooster?
I have chickens that overnight in temperatures of that range with just tarp and good wire for shelter. Provided no storms, they stay dry, and the area is predator proof, I wouldn't be concerned about it for my girls, especially perched together. The coolness may actually work to your advantage.

Both of those breeds are known to go broody

I have chickens that overnight in temperatures of that range with just tarp and good wire for shelter. Provided no storms, they stay dry, and the area is predator proof, I wouldn't be concerned about it for my girls, especially perched together. The coolness may actually work to your advantage.
Thank you. We do get some driving winds here, but we're in for a good stretch of weather after tonight.

It's really unfortunate timing for the girls to go all hay wire as we've got 17 chicks just feathered out in a small enclosure in the main coop trying to integrate. They're all very friendly with the chicks, do you think that's got something to do with it?

It's really unfortunate timing for the girls to go all hay wire as we've got 17 chicks just feathered out in a small enclosure in the main coop trying to integrate. They're all very friendly with the chicks, do you think that's got something to do with it?
I wouldn't think so but..... time of year and maybe they got the urge watching the little ones? It may forever be a mystery.

I wouldn't think so but..... time of year and maybe they got the urge watching the little ones? It may forever be a mystery.
Thank you, anyone have advice on how to help the girls out nutritionally while there broody? I was shocked to see those gorgeous red comes get so pale so fast! We currently give them vitamins and electrolytes and oregano oil in their water. No one sleeps in the nest... Wouldn't they normally sleep in the nest if they were broody?

Thank you, anyone have advice on how to help the girls out nutritionally while there broody? I was shocked to see those gorgeous red comes get so pale so fast! We currently give them vitamins and electrolytes and oregano oil in their water. No one sleeps in the nest... Wouldn't they normally sleep in the nest if they were broody?
They're* combs* typing from a phone 😑

Yes they would once they had eggs for sure. Doesn't at least one sleep in the nest?

Back
Top Bottom