They've all gone mad! Whole flock broody!

Its basically any kind of dog crate, or similar, which can be raised off the ground.
That way, they hens get a breeze blowing under their feathers, and they are kept out of the nest.
It usually works within 3 or 4 days.
I didn't used to like the idea, but after seeing just how much easier it is, compered to looking after 6 or so broodys at once, I am a new fan, lol!
I can imagine that will be the case with us too

Waits for @fluffycrow to wake up in Greece and find this thread.

:pop

Sandra Bullock I Give Up GIF

I have a bad feeling we're coming in hot behind you! I don't have much h advice except there are differences between partially broody and full on not giving up broody. My EE is the first, my bantam is the later. My EE is just crabby toward everybody else, has pulled feathers out to line her "nest" and sleeps in the nest overnight. But when I remove her from the nest, she doesn't desperately try to return immediately. My bantam has been broody for 4 and a half weeks now (I have her hatching some eggs I put under her at 2 weeks). When I pull her off the nest, she eats frantically, dust bathes frantically, and drinks some water frantically before returning to her nest... frantically.

I have my bantam in a whole seperate coop the other girls can't get to. She has food and water close (I have medicated chick crumbles in there, which are fine for her and the chicks to eat). I haven't noticed her comb going pale, but I moved her when I put eggs under her (under the guise of night). If you can separate 1 or 2 hens you want as mama's to another coop with the chicks, that would help protect the babies.

I have a bad feeling we're coming in hot behind you! I don't have much h advice except there are differences between partially broody and full on not giving up broody. My EE is the first, my bantam is the later. My EE is just crabby toward everybody else, has pulled feathers out to line her "nest" and sleeps in the nest overnight. But when I remove her from the nest, she doesn't desperately try to return immediately. My bantam has been broody for 4 and a half weeks now (I have her hatching some eggs I put under her at 2 weeks). When I pull her off the nest, she eats frantically, dust bathes frantically, and drinks some water frantically before returning to her nest... frantically.

I have my bantam in a whole seperate coop the other girls can't get to. She has food and water close (I have medicated chick crumbles in there, which are fine for her and the chicks to eat). I haven't noticed her comb going pale, but I moved her when I put eggs under her (under the guise of night). If you can separate 1 or 2 hens you want as mama's to another coop with the chicks, that would help protect the babies.
Thank you!!

Are the hens all roosting at night? Not sure what is going on with your flock. Fully Broody hens will stay in the nest all night and most of the day. They do on the other hand like to lay where others are laying. Partially broody is a possibility. Personally in this situation I would just watch and see if anyone starts staying in the nest at night.

Combs can get pale while hens are broody, but not usually so suddenly. I know it is tough to tell broody behavior from other off behaviors, but keep an eye on them.

Are the hens all roosting at night? Not sure what is going on with your flock. Fully Broody hens will stay in the nest all night and most of the day. They do on the other hand like to lay where others are laying. Partially broody is a possibility. Personally in this situation I would just watch and see if anyone starts staying in the nest at night.

Combs can get pale while hens are broody, but not usually so suddenly. I know it is tough to tell broody behavior from other off behaviors, but keep an eye on them.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom