They've pipped! ?'s about Hovabator Genesis humidty

kwack

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Delaware County
lol.png

Threeof the six have pipped externally - the one Cayuga, one of two WH and one of three Pekins. One of the Pekins looks like it has stopped.
hit.gif
No movement or tapping since last night. It also has a mottled looking shell.
The other Pekin and WH are still tapping on the shell.

I can't get our HovaBator Genesis past 75% humidity on the hygrometer. I have filled all the pans and added a sponge in a pan. Should I assume my hygrometer is not accurate?
idunno.gif

fl.gif
:fl:fl

I am in the same position with a 1588 genesis on day 27. I have 15 pekins and 22 Khaki Campbells starting to hatch. My Humidity is also at 75% which should be lots for a succesful hatch. I did a similar hatch last month and all turned out well.
Best advice is #1 do not open the bator during the hatch, second most important rule is do not open the bator during the hatch !
Good Luck.

Jep I agree, keep an eye on the temperature and be sure that you are getting some vent air in even if the humidity falls. Most newcomers worry too much about the humidity and let the other two slide.~gd

you might want to make another vent sized hole in the top away from the wires etc. stuff a paper towel in that hole being careful to not touch the eggs.. wet the towel.

Thanks for the input.

The temp is 99ish and humidity hovering around 73%.

There is some condensation forming on the inside of the viewing window. Should I open the vent plug at the top?

Hovabator Genesis 1588

Thanks

buy a windex like bottle that NEVER had anything in it. and spritz them 3 times a day 90+ guarenteeed!

I guess I'm the only weirdo that hatches ducks at 60%? I have had very bad luck with sticky chicks when I push it higher than that...
I just hatched 15 ducks (out of 17) last week at 60% in my genesis....
hu.gif

UPDATE -
The Cayuga has punched a pretty big hole in it's shell. All the others have small pips. One had a dark spotted interior and hadn't moved or tapped in two days so we removed it from the bator.

24287_img_6290.jpg

fl.gif
:fl:fl:fl

Back
Top Bottom