Thiamine deficiency in ducklings

duckyfromoz

Quackaholic
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
Australia
I have a visitor.
hopefully the little one wont be with me long- the shorter the visit the better since it will mean that it is no longer under the effects of being thiamine deficient.

A friend dropped by tonight to borrow one of my ducklings, She had 2 hatch and had pretty much given up hope for this little one- thinking she had to have it put to sleep - she didnt want the other being alone. Instead we have swapped- I have this beautiful little baby who cannot hold up its head and keeps flipping over onto its back. It the worse case of stargazing I have seen since raising my own duck Flippy 2 years ago. This baby is from the same farm as where I got the eggs I hatched flippy from- so they are related in some way - but this is not a genetic condition and can hopefully be rectified.

46956_vistor.jpg

I have it drinking water with a multivitamin in it in a much larger dose than what is recommended for maintenance in the hope that it will regain the strength and control of its neck.

I have also taken some video footage of the little one- so that I can see if there is improvement, It is a bit distressing though. Its getting late here and I have to go finish up feeding everyone else and head off to set this little one up in bed with me for the night. Holding it is the only way to keep it calm and stop it from flipping over - so if thats what it takes.... hope it only poops on the towel I put down.
big_smile.png

Hopefully by tomorrow when I get home from work i can post with news of something more positive about this little one...who will also by then have a name.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. Hopefully you'll see some improvements soon with the vitamins.

PS~ What I have done with baby Calls that are flipping on me is, dip their bills in the multivitamin itself once or twice a day to be sure they get a few drops' worth. It has helped several of them to come around.

Last edited:
This is an important topic that I hope many will read. It inspired me to look into which foods are rich in thiamine. I smiled when I read that peas are a good source!

Does it make sense to conclude from your experiences with this deficiency in ducklings that a duck can have a thiamine deficiency that affects the health of her ducklings?

Thanks for this, Duckyfromoz! May you be able to catch up on your sleep soon!

WHAT A NIGHT!! My gosh - I dont know if little one got any sleep at all!! I made up a little bed for it- a small tub lined with a towel- but it was flipping around so much that just sleeping with it beside me -my hand in the tub supporting it wasnt enough.

It is eating and drinking well- so no problems with it getting a full belly. Its off to work now. We have a short day since everyone is leaving early for our Christmas party tonight. I hadnt intended on going anyway- but now will have my hands full with this little cherub.

This is an important topic that I hope many will read.

Yes- thats exactly what i thought - as it really is more common than I first thought two years ago when I had my first encounter with it. This little guy is too small for peas just yet- but I could mush some up .

Does it make sense to conclude from your experiences with this deficiency in ducklings that a duck can have a thiamine deficiency that affects the health of her ducklings?

Not sure about this one yet- the only similarity in ducklings i have seen at this point have all have very long difficult hatches.​

How is your duckling doing, duckyfromoz? Just wondering if any improvement at all...I'm a little afraid to ask...
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom