"Thin breast"

teeatwell

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Central louisiana
I have about a flock of about 25 and they all have very thin breast. I feed them 6 way scratch with extra crumbles. They eat and drink fine are very active and in general seem fine except their breast and I know farm chicken breast will be smaller but not this much. I would appreciate any suggestions as what could be going on with them

On the chart below, what condition score would you give them?

What breed are your birds?
Some breeds can be slimmer than others.

1659238584098.png

It would be a #2. I have
1 black Maran
1 speckled Sussex
3 smooth silkie
5 Americana
3 fizzle
1 Cocchin
2 light Sussex
And they all have thin breast. They all eat good and are very active. I'm just at a loss

I feed them 6 way scratch with extra crumbles.

Do you have the product name of the scratch and crumbles you feed?
Do your birds free roam/forage?

If they roam, then I'd try cutting back on the amount of scratch. Do make crumbles available free choice for them. See if that helps.

Getting a fecal float to see if worms are an issue may be helpful as well.

You report they eat well and are very active, so there may not be any changes needed at all. You don't want fat hens, that can cause issues.

Hi, sorry to hijack the thread but I have a very thin orp hen who is a very bad 1 on the scale. She was sick but now is recovered but super skinny. I have her on flock raiser and she eats normal. Anything else I should do?

Hi, sorry to hijack the thread but I have a very thin orp hen who is a very bad 1 on the scale. She was sick but now is recovered but super skinny. I have her on flock raiser and she eats normal. Anything else I should do?
If she's recovering and eating normal, I wouldn't do anything else. She will eventually gain back her weight.

Back
Top Bottom