thin egg busted inside hen, lethargic, passed empty soft shell - urgent help!

andi6313

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
Georgia
I have a 1 year old RIR hen. Just this afternoon we found her in the nest box trying to lay her egg. She's very slow and lethargic. She does walk around some trying to poop. Her poop is small and regular looking, but looks like egg yolk mixed in the poo. We brought her in the house with a heat lamp and she just passed a thin, floppy open ended egg shell. She is standing up to trying to pass more poo/egg then sitting down. She drank a lot of water when I brought her into the cage, but its late now and she's not eaten a bite or drank anymore water. Am I doing what I need to? or what else can I do? Thank you in advance.

She could possibly have another egg passing through her oviduct. Try soaking her in warm water up to her sides and gently massage her underside for about 20 minutes. Hopefully she' ll lay the next egg if that's what it is.
What would concern me more is the broken egg inside her since you saw what appeared to be yolk in her feces. Infection could set in and would present a bigger problem. I recommend that you mix 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to 1 quart of water. Withdraw the mixture with a large syringe (without needle) and insert the syringe just inside her vent and flush. Do this about 3 or 4 times to prevent infection. The liquid may or may not flow back out of her vent. Like a douche.

You were right! She just passed another egg. A very thin shell, like a balloon filled with water. It was not busted, it came out whole, thank goodness.

ok, she's flushed out. that was really gross, but part of farm life! Ginger is a very good patient, she didnt mind it too much. she seems to be resting peacefully now. Thank you again!

She's really pretty and has a sweet look to her. I am so glad you could save her.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom