Thin Fragile Duck Eggs

Hi Everyone,

My ducks have started laying very thin and fragile eggs. I feed them Mazuri Waterfowl Breeder food and always have oyster shells out for them. They free range, so while they definitely eat the duck food, they also spend a lot of time rummaging about snorkling through the grass.

They are all just over a year old, 4 khaki Campbells and two Swedish Blue ducks. It's been very hot here lately with the west coast drought, and our drake has been over-mating some of them so we try to give them at least half the day separated from him. I can't think of anything else of relevance to report. Any guidance appreciated.

How are you administering it to them? are you putting it in their water or food? Or syringing it into their throats (don't worry, I do know how to properly do this but of course would prefer a less invasive delivery).
I use a syringe. Since I have so many I administer individually to make sure the one having issues if getting the proper dose.

I use a syringe. Since I have so many I administer individually to make sure the one having issues if getting the proper dose.

My 5 yr old Runner duck has laid 2 soft shell eggs back to back so she got a dose 1 ml of Calcium Gluconate this evening. They have oyster shell but sometimes they just need a little extra help.
Miss Lydia, how often do you give calcium? Like if you notice soft egg shells, would you give a 1ml dose just once? Periodically? Daily for a bit?

If they lay a couple soft shells close together then I give calcium gluconate for a couple of days. Then just watch to see if it helps. Some give calcium citrate over their feed instead of cal glu. Since I have a mixed flock with boys I'd rather dose individually.

If they lay a couple soft shells close together then I give calcium gluconate for a couple of days. Then just watch to see if it helps. Some give calcium citrate over their feed instead of cal glu. Since I have a mixed flock with boys I'd rather dose individually.
I have found that I can put frozen green peas (thawed of course), my ducks favorite treat, in a small bowl with the calcium and feed it to a specific duck and she'll eat it all up - so this way I make sure each girl gets her dose :)

Back
Top Bottom