Thin pullet

catballou

Songster
Feb 12, 2021
Michigan
I have 8 pullets that are 13 weeks old. One, a buff Orpington, is thinner than the others. She's so light when I pick her up
Could just one have worms? They all eat the same chick starter, a few treats and a handful of scratch in the morning.

I have 8 pullets that are 13 weeks old. One, a buff Orpington, is thinner than the others. She's so light when I pick her up
Could just one have worms? They all eat the same chick starter, a few treats and a handful of scratch in the morning.
My thought would be that she is being bullied off the feed by the other pullets.

So... I would put out another feeder and another waterer, and watch the flock carefully, see if she is being bullied.

It is possible that she isn't as healthy as the rest. There are some individuals that are susceptible to all worms etc.

Coop her up by herself with plenty of feed and see if that lets her gain some weight. Might be bullying, might be just being smaller and not as aggressive, might be some of both weakening her and making her more susceptible to worms.

You have checked her for mites?

I have relocated the pullet who is bossy. Actually, two of them. I also wormed her, started yes.i hope it helps. She so sweet. The glw pullet is the meanie.

Just for future reference, how do you break a bully of bullying?
I have a BR pullet who follows the other two pullets around and takes what they've found out in the pen while foraging out of their beaks. She's very persistent. She also has pecked my EE on the back where she's bare from being bullied at the hatchery. Can this be addressed and broken? I've only had them 2 weeks.

It doesn't seem fair to separate the one being bullied, she's done nothing wrong. I think the bully needs "time out".
I seperated the bully. I put her in with the two older hens I have, just started last night. So far, so good.
I let them all free range from 6 to 8 pm. They do ok out of there.

Coop her up by herself with plenty of feed and see if that lets her gain some weight. Might be bullying, might be just being smaller and not as aggressive, might be some of both weakening her and making her more susceptible to worms.

You have checked her for mites?
I have. No mites. She's gaining some weight already after separating the bully for two nights and worming them all. I'm so happy!!

Back
Top Bottom