Thin shell and broken eggs in nest

41hijinx

Hatching
10 Years
May 8, 2009
I have 2 bantam Hamburg hens only 2 years old which were laying pretty good up until a few weeks ago. Now I find thin shelled eggs broken in the nest. The frequency of laying also appears to be down. They seem to be in good health and their diet has not changed. They get plenty of corn, bread, broccoli, canteloupe sprinkled with laying mash, grit and oyster shell. I have recently been adding powdered vitamins to their food and even digging up worms as treats. I cannot figure out why the eggs are defective! Any ideas would be appreciated.
sad.png

I would say they are not getting enough calicum... is the oyster shell out all the time so they can eat when they need or is it not out all the time

Thank you for your reply. The oyster shell is mixed into their food which is out all the time. The amount has been the same as when they were laying regularly. However, I will try adding even more oyster shell and post the results. Thank you.
big_smile.png

Try this concoction

6 eggs cooked in the microwave. Save the shells, rinse them off and bake them for a few minutes at 350. Let the shells cool.

Mash up the eggs and mash up the shells into little pieces.

Mix with 1 cup yogurt

1/2 cup powdered milk or milk replacer

a dash of ceyanne pepper powder.

mix it all up and feed to your chickens at room temp.

They will gobble it up and get the girls back on track!

"They get plenty of corn, bread, broccoli, canteloupe sprinkled with laying mash, grit and oyster shell."
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I think I see a problem.
Their layer feed should be their # 1 food source. Small amounts of the other stuff. It is possible for their diet to get so out of whack that it decreases their laying or even stops it altogether.
They need the complete nutrition of their layer feed first and foremost. There are plenty of hens that get layer feed only and lay great.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hot pepper like Cayenne is high in vitamins C and A. It helps to protect the intestines from damage due to bacteria and protozoa and has some bactericidal and protozoan suppression qualities. It acts as a tonic.

According to herbal remedies, the active ingredient is capsaicin. When taken internally capsaicin can warm the body, raise metabolism, improve weak digestion and increase circulation.

I mix 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper per cup of feed. Any of the hot peppers will do. But not the black peppercorns they're a different type of plant. In the summer, we toss them garden refuse of peppers - jalapeno, hot banana, anaheim, cayenne that are damaged.

How do you cook eggs in the microwave for the concoction listed below?

Are they hard boiled??

I have thin broken eggs being laid... new hens a little over one year old... I have had them for a week. THey have plenty of layer feed available but now are free range vs. in coop..
I am hoping this is why I am seeing thin shells.

6 eggs cooked in the microwave. Save the shells, rinse them off and bake them for a few minutes at 350. Let the shells cool.

Mash up the eggs and mash up the shells into little pieces.

Mix with 1 cup yogurt

1/2 cup powdered milk or milk replacer

a dash of ceyanne pepper powder.

mix it all up and feed to your chickens at room temp.

They will gobble it up and get the girls back on track!

How do you cook eggs in the microwave? Are they hard boiled?

I have been having this same problem and I feed them layer feed and calcium pellets

I have been giving them some cantelope (not a lot but not a little) and watermelon in the last month - I guess this could be the problem...

glad I read this thread hope quitting the melon works havent had an egg in a week and before that it was sporadic

lotsa crushers tho

I have 2 chickens they are 3 and 1.5 yrs old

Back
Top Bottom