1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thin shell eggs!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by irf1983, Jan 31, 2011.

1. irf1983

irf1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Brooksville, FL
    One of my marans is laying very thin shelled eggs. Sometimes they are just fragile, other times it's like there is no shell at all and its just a gelatinous blob with a thin membrane. As far as I know she has always laid this way. The three other i raised with her from chicks are laying fine. There is plenty of oyster shell available. Any ideas why she is laying this way? Thanks!

2. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    Are you feeding layer pellets or crumbles? Try giving yogurt with oat meal in it but not to much or she will get a messy but

3. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Do they access to grit? Grit helps grind up the oystershells.

It could also be a water issue. Water high in heavy metals or other pollutants can interfer with calcium obsorbation and egg laying.

4. irf1983

irf1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Brooksville, FL
    I feed crumbles. They free range and get all kinds of grit and stone. the color of the shell is often mottled too, don;t know if that makes any difference. thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by