thin shell

MattMansChickens

Chirping
8 Years
May 25, 2011
Canada
i went donwn to the chicken house this morning to check for eggs, and there was an egg that had a very thin shell, it had broken. i don't know if someone pecked it, but it wasn't being eaten. i cleaned it up right away though. the chickens have only been laying for a little over a week, and i haven't got them a calcium supply yet. what is the problem? will this hen always lay eggs this way? does she need calcium?

Yes, they need a calcium source, asap! Most people offer crushed oyster shell (purchased from the feed store). You should get some right away. You don't want those thin shells breaking inside the hen - a fatal condition.

I offer crushed oyster shell in a separate dish in their run. Some people toss oyster shell on the floor of their run, some mix into the feeder. The hens need to take up extra calcium in order to produce those many shells.

I use my chicken egg shells--let them dry, crush them up really well & either put it in a bowl or mix it in with their feed. Great way to recycle your own eggshells.

I use the eggshells too, I put them in the microwave and heat them up for 30-40 seconds and then crush them up. Heating them dries than out and makes them crush easily.

Back
Top Bottom