1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thin Shelled and Misshapen Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carabar, Nov 20, 2009.

1. carabar

carabar Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2009
    Munfordville, KY
    I have found a really thin shelled (paper thin) and miss shaped egg two days in a row now. The egg is also fairly large in size. The first day the shell was so thin the egg broke when layed (which is a concern for starting egg eating). I have 9 hens, 7 laying and none of the other eggs looks this way. They are thick shelled and normal shaped. If anyone has suggestions I would really appreciate your imput. We are new to raising chickens, loving it and worrying about every thing we think may be wrong.

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    it could be a couple of things. You may have a new hen laying and its just trying to learn how to lay a proper egg. It may be that someone is not getting enough calcium. You may want to offer oyster shell free choice. If the other hens are close to laying you can use layer feed as well.

3. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] I would thin they need calcium

4. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    It could just be that one is just starting to lay and her body is just working things out. I have a bunch of 22 week old girls that are just starting and I had one of those eggs this morning. Extra oyster shell is a good idea. When I was getting a bunch of eggs like that, I mixed it right in with the feed.

5. staceyl

staceyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    I had a couple of those from my BO the first few weeks she was laying, but none since. If they are new layers I wouldn't worry about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by