Thin shelled egg problem. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Serrin, May 11, 2010.

1. Serrin

Serrin Songster

My sweet little Abigail, a three + year old Golden Sex Link, has been laying a thin shelled egg for the better part of six months now. She has free choice oyster shell available to her 24/7/365. She free ranges every day along with the rest of the flock and has always exhibited a healthy appetite. She's not the least bit shy nor finicky, so I know she's getting ample nutrition. And yet she continues to lay this paper thin egg that invariably breaks upon laying. Also, it's always the pointy end that is paper thin. The large end is amply sturdy and thick shelled.

What, if anything, can I do to help her produce a thicker shelled egg? If I'm not right there to gather the egg as soon as it is laid, the other girls will dispose of it, leaving only the shell. Abigail herself does not participate in this bit of egg cannibalism, so I'm pretty sure that this is not a deficiency issue for her. Otherwise, wouldn't she'd be right there along with her sisters in devouring the egg? [​IMG]

Would perhaps some Poly-Vi-Sol be in order here? With the exception of this thin shell issue, Abby is a very healthy and happy little hen. I just feel so bad that her plumbing seems to be on the fritz and that the egg is more often than not, going to waste. All that work for naught. Poor Abby. [​IMG]

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ethel's Eggs

Ethel's Eggs Hatching

May 10, 2010
    If the Poly-Vi-Sol has Vitamin D in it, I would think that would have some benefit. Vitamin D helps with absorption and utilization of Calcium. It could be just what she needs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by