Thin shelled eggs becoming and issue

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sawilliams, May 9, 2017.

1. sawilliams

sawilliams Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    So of 10 chickens 1 had been laying very thin shelled eggs for about a month, occasionally a stronger shell but mostly thin or nearly shell-less. I haven't worried to much hoping she would come back around. I'm not sure which girl it is but it's 1 of 3 out of the whole flock. We did have some repetative broken eggs last year when the youngest ones started laying and more recently when I didn't clean and refill thier nesting box material soon enough giving them time to get down to bare wood.

I know there are a few things that might cuase weak shelled eggs, but I'm not sure what her issue is (thinking it's just her unfortunately)
    - yes they are one layer feed
    - yes there have extra calcium
    - they do get scraps but only on rare occasions and typically fruits and veggies, leftover scrambles eggs or egg shells. I'm taking rare like less then once a week normally.
    - everyone seems healthy
    -egg production is normal, or rather high averaging at about 7 or 8 a day per weekly average but between 5 and 10 on any given day with a few only being sporadic layers.

Anyways today I got a tiny egg,based on the texture I'm sure it was my soft shell girl though being so small it is stronger then normal. I did get all the others I would compare hers to (color wise) today and no other fit the soft shell look or feel I'm becoming accustomed too.

My worry is I know in some cases shell-less and thin shelled eggs can lead to or be a sign of other health issues and I need help knowing what to watch for. Mostly so I can help her if needed but also becuase we will be moving in about a month and i want to try to make sure she doesn't get sick or injured during transport and relocation. The hard part there being that since i don't know for sure who it is i have to treat 3 with extra care.

Please help me with some insight

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by