Thin shelled eggs... What should I do?

happylittlehens

Songster
6 Years
Mar 19, 2013
Utah
I have a white leghorn that has thin shells on her eggs. Almost every egg she lays has a hole in the end with cracks. The shell is extremely thin on that end but it doesn't break the membrane. They are on 16% layer feed, have free range of an 1/8 acre full of greens and bugs and have access to oyster shell. Is there anything else I can do to strengthen up her eggs? Here is a pic of an egg I got today...

I have a white leghorn that has thin shells on her eggs. Almost every egg she lays has a hole in the end with cracks. The shell is extremely thin on that end but it doesn't break the membrane. They are on 16% layer feed, have free range of an 1/8 acre full of greens and bugs and have access to oyster shell. Is there anything else I can do to strengthen up her eggs? Here is a pic of an egg I got today...
You can mix some Food Grade Diatomaceous earth into the feed. Add 1/3C to a regular size feeder full. Stop when the shell gets thicker. You may need to add more calcium to the feed every three days or so.

Another thing to check is parasites--they can cause thin shells.

How old is she, is she moulting, have you de-wormed the flock, checked for exterior parasites, changed feed? All questions that need to be answered for a better diagnosis. Sounds like there is ample calcium between the layer and added oyster shell on the side so it leads me to believe that something else is going on.

How old is she, is she moulting, have you de-wormed the flock, checked for exterior parasites, changed feed? All questions that need to be answered for a better diagnosis. Sounds like there is ample calcium between the layer and added oyster shell on the side so it leads me to believe that something else is going on.

She is 26 weeks old. They are not molting and I haven't changed feed other than from grower to layer about 6 weeks ago. I have not de-wormed since I haven't noticed any signs of worms...should I anyway just in case?? I do a "health check" of each bird about once every week or so... check their eyes, respiratory, legs, feet, skin, etc. I haven't noticed any parasites on any of them. I'm not sure exactly which one is laying the thin eggs, but it can only be 1 of the 3 leghorns. I'll do a closer check up on each of the leghorns this evening. I am stumped on what the problem might be!

You can mix some Food Grade Diatomaceous earth into the feed. Add 1/3C to a regular size feeder full. Stop when the shell gets thicker. You may need to add more calcium to the feed every three days or so.

Another thing to check is parasites--they can cause thin shells.

What would this do? I've heard of using DE on them externally for parasites, but what does it do to them internally? I will be checking closely for parasites this evening. Thanks for the advice.

What would this do? I've heard of using DE on them externally for parasites, but what does it do to them internally? I will be checking closely for parasites this evening. Thanks for the advice.

The DE is for the calcium content. It is easily digestible but worms will lead to soft shells. Pullets should be wormed before they start laying and at least once a year depending on where you live and how many worms are present. A vet can do a float test to make sure--The cost is around $10.00 for a test.

I started the Fall worming today for my layers.

Good to know. Can I get the worming medication at my local feed store or do I need to get it from a vet?

Here is some information:

http://www.sweeth2o.us/Parasites.html

You can get the worm and other medicines from local feed stores. They are usually listed as being for swine. The first worming is currently recommended for being ivomectrin for the first dose and then 10 days later Valbazen.

I hope this helps!

Well I did a thorough check on the girls tonight. No noticeable parasites externally and I didn't see any droppings with worms. I guess I will do a preventative deworming and see what happens. On a good note...her egg wasn't cracked today!

Back
Top Bottom