Thin white worms in chicken’s old water - is this a concern?

Apr 20, 2021
I swapped out an old dish waterer for a nipple setup for my chickens about a week ago. They are 5 month old Black Australorpes and are just starting to lay.

After taking the old waterer dish away, I left it in the sun and did not clean it for about a week (lazy, I know!) as I planned to throw it away.

When I went to toss the old waterer today, there were dozens of thin, stringy white worms growing in it, about 1” long. The worms visibly move in the water. I assume they are from chicken waste in the dish waterer.

Does anyone know what these worms are, and if they are a concern for my chickens? I have not noticed any worms in their waste, new nipple waterer bucket, or coop/run. The worms only grew in the old waterer I removed and didn’t clean, but they must have come from inside my chickens at some point, right?

The chickens are acting healthily but one did die suddenly laying its first egg about a week ago, and am wondering if there is any connection.

Attachments

• 6819EC72-7B4E-46B3-A64D-4EABCDD07BAB.jpeg
    6819EC72-7B4E-46B3-A64D-4EABCDD07BAB.jpeg
    716.1 KB · Views: 157
At first I thought you meant mosquito larva as I was reading. I was astounded when I saw the photo! Tapeworms are segmented and flat, and you usually don't see more than the segments around the anus. I think they are mature round worms but I don't know how they'd be there unless your flock is totally full of them. The can infect HUMANS through skin, so deworm the flock, make sure not to go barefoot outside, and wash hands well after working with chickens. If they are in the coop soil, you will probably have to do regular de-wormings. I'm not a chicken person, but in dogs round worms can actually kill animals, especially young ones.

I attached a photo for comparison...

Attachments

• Adult-Toxocara-canis-the-most-common-intestinal-roundworm-of-dogs.png
    Adult-Toxocara-canis-the-most-common-intestinal-roundworm-of-dogs.png
    390.9 KB · Views: 102
At first I thought you meant mosquito larva as I was reading. I was astounded when I saw the photo! Tapeworms are segmented and flat, and you usually don't see more than the segments around the anus. I think they are mature round worms but I don't know how they'd be there unless your flock is totally full of them. The can infect HUMANS through skin, so deworm the flock, make sure not to go barefoot outside, and wash hands well after working with chickens. If they are in the coop soil, you will probably have to do regular de-wormings. I'm not a chicken person, but in dogs round worms can actually kill animals, especially young ones.

I attached a photo for comparison...

Thank you, I appreciate the reply! I was so shocked to see the worms, thank you for pointing them out as roundworms.

I have never dewormed before; I am hoping the same worms are not inside the chickens. I will look into getting deworming medication.

I swapped out an old dish waterer for a nipple setup for my chickens about a week ago. They are 5 month old Black Australorpes and are just starting to lay.

After taking the old waterer dish away, I left it in the sun and did not clean it for about a week (lazy, I know!) as I planned to throw it away.

When I went to toss the old waterer today, there were dozens of thin, stringy white worms growing in it, about 1” long. The worms visibly move in the water. I assume they are from chicken waste in the dish waterer.

Does anyone know what these worms are, and if they are a concern for my chickens? I have not noticed any worms in their waste, new nipple waterer bucket, or coop/run. The worms only grew in the old waterer I removed and didn’t clean, but they must have come from inside my chickens at some point, right?

The chickens are acting healthily but one did die suddenly laying its first egg about a week ago, and am wondering if there is any connection.
THROW AWAY THIS WATERER holder IMMDEATLY DEWORM EVERYBODY. Get a new water holder for everyone to drink deep clean the coop. Give every chicken a bath with epsom salt than deworm.

THROW AWAY THIS WATERER holder IMMDEATLY DEWORM EVERYBODY. Get a new water holder for everyone to drink deep clean the coop. Give every chicken a bath with epsom salt than deworm.
Thank you for the reply; the waterer is thrown away. I will deworm them; is it a pill medication or something that is applied to the back of their neck?

Do you know what generally causes this type of worm (is it a roundworm?) so I can avoid it happening again?

I’d de-worm all the chickens. Use Safe Gaurd, it comes as a big syringe. But a pea-sized amount in a grape or piece of bread, then give one each to all of the flock members. You only need to do this once. I’ll post a pic of the brand and the worms.
Thank you, it’s greatly appreciated. I’ve never dewormed before so I wasn’t sure what was best to buy.

Thank you for the reply; the waterer is thrown away. I will deworm them; is it a pill medication or something that is applied to the back of their neck?

Do you know what generally causes this type of worm (is it a roundworm?) so I can avoid it happening again?
Here is wormer, follow my instructions on how to give it to them above.
515A28F9-2C72-44C1-BF6E-FE98FE80BC1A.jpeg

Here is a pic of worms, they are roundworms.
E79C0944-4517-4C35-A782-C8944E2BFB19.png

Here is wormer, follow my instructions on how to give it to them above.
View attachment 2639978

Here is a pic of worms, they are roundworms.
View attachment 2639980
Thank you for attaching the pictures, it’s very helpful.

You had said I only need to feed them the dewormer once, which is great to know. I had 2 follow up questions:

1) Is deworming something that must be done regularly (and if so, how does one know when to do it)?

2) Is there anything, apart from keeping a clean coop, that I can do to prevent it from happening again?

Thanks to you all I was able to catch the problem this time, but I am concerned in case it happens again as I would not have known there were worm problems had it not been for the old waterer I left out.

Back
Top Bottom