Thing inside of fresh eggs?

peavinegardens

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 28, 2013
Reno Nevada
So I'm new to raising chickens, my neighbors go some in the fall last year, I got mine 5 weeks ago :D
My question is every now and then where's a brownish blackesh thing in the eggs.
It's not on the yolk but more on the white thing attached to the Yolk.
They don't have a rooster so I'm not sure what it is, or if it's safe to eat? But mu dogs love
When I find them. Lol
Any ideas on what it is?
This is my first post, but have loved reading all of the great info that BYC has on line.
Thanks
Rob

I will as soon as I run across one, my chicks are only 5-6 weeks so I need to get the eggs from my neighbor, I should have them this weekend.
Thanks for your help
Rob

null_zpsf1bd59c9.jpg

So finally back at the house, and found some eggs waiting for me.
This egg has 2 spots in it. The one on the bottom on the photo is what I find most often.
Right now it about 40% of the eggs.
Any help you could give me would be great.
Thanks a lot
Rob

It looks like what is known as 'meat spots' which are bits of tissue from the wall of the oviduct - it is a bit icky to think about but they are quite harmless to eat (or you can just remove them).

Those are quite normal and completely harmless. I got the following answer from poultryhelp.com

"Blood spots occur when blood or a bit of tissue is released along with a yolk. Each developing yolk in a hen's ovary is enclosed in a sack containing blood vessels that supply yolk building substances. When the yolk is mature, it is normally released from the only area of the yolk sac, called the "stigma" or "suture line", that is free of blood vessels. Occasionally, the yolk sac ruptures at some other point, causing blood vessels to break and blood to appear on the yolk or in the white. As an egg ages, the blood spot becomes paler, so a bright blood spot is a sign that the egg is fresh.

Blood spots occur in less than one percent of all eggs laid. They may appear in a pullet's first few eggs, but are more likely to occur as hens get older, indicating that it's time to cull. Blood spots may be triggered by too little vitamin A in a hen's diet, or they may be hereditary - if you hatch replacement pullets from a hen that characteristically lays spotted eggs, your new flock will likely do the same.

MEAT SPOTS
Meat spots are even less common than blood spots. They appear as brown, reddish brown, tan, gray or white spots in an egg, usually on or near the yolk. Such a spot may have started out as a blood spot that changed color due to chemical reaction, or it may be a bit of reproductive tissue. Since meat spots look unappetizing, cull a hen whose eggs characteristically contain them."

Thanks every one for the info, sorry it's taken so long to respond, 18 hour days right now.
So from what I can tell one egg every now and then is normal, that's what I remember as a kid in Nebraska, but it shouldn't be the other way around. Talked to the owners of the chicks today and right now they are getting about 75% with something in the egg. Sometimes a little sometimes a lot. Could it be an infection or something.
He's getting concerned about their health at this point.
Thanks again for your help

Without pictures I don't know if what he's seeing if "normal" or not. Have him take some pictures of some eggs he's concerned about so we can get a better idea of what he's seeing. Those meat spots and blood spots are very common and quite normal for a backyard flock.

I am new to Backyard Chickens and joined today to help find the answer to a very similar issue. I have one hen (2 years old) who started laying eggs like this a few months ago. I can tell which egg it is because there is a darker brown bumpy area on the small end of the shell. I would explain the "stuff" as looking like cocoa powder or dark saw dust in the thicker part of the albumen, close to the yolk. My dog is enjoying the treat of a fresh egg every day too! I've seen blood spots in eggs in the past, his is something much different. Are these "meat spots"? Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

I am new to Backyard Chickens and joined today to help find the answer to a very similar issue. I have one hen (2 years old) who started laying eggs like this a few months ago. I can tell which egg it is because there is a darker brown bumpy area on the small end of the shell. I would explain the "stuff" as looking like cocoa powder or dark saw dust in the thicker part of the albumen, close to the yolk. My dog is enjoying the treat of a fresh egg every day too! I've seen blood spots in eggs in the past, his is something much different. Are these "meat spots"? Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

welcome-byc.gif
These are meat spots which is the same thing as a blood spot (just older blood which turns brown after time) They are perfectly normal to get every once and a while and common to get in backyard eggs. The commercial eggs you get at the grocery store have been screened by a high intensity candler to check for these spots and are tossed before hitting the carton. These eggs are just fine to eat... you can pick out the spots if it makes you uncomfortable.

Can you tell us a little more about what you're feeding your girls? Sometimes, if a hen is consistently laying an egg like this one, you can look at their diet to see if something is lacking. I've read that adding a vitamin A supplement to their water can help with meat spots but I don't have any experience with this method of treatment. How is your hen acting otherwise? Keep us posted and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom