Things are looking up in Olathe

OZchicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 28, 2013
Olathe KS
We had our hearing last night for the special use permit I applied for to keep my chickens. Mine was a new permit but up on the agenda before me was a renewal permit request. Unfortunately the planning commission voted to revoke her permit due to one lousy neighbor of hers so I was a bit worried when it came time for mine. Being a first permit request with no complaints from neighbors they passed mine but only for a one year time frame. Guess that gets my foot in the door. Now my permit just has to go to city council for final approval in a few weeks but it looks like I will get to keep my girls. And the other woman who was denied will get to plead her case to the council that night as we'll. fingers are crossed for her. Once this permit is past me I would like to find several more olathe chicken enthusiasts so we can rally together and try to change the ordinance.

Good luck getting your ordinances changed. I'm just across the stateline from you and trying to do the same thing in Gladstone, MO.

I just moved to NW Olathe (K7 & Harold) and am very interested in keeping chickens. Unfortunately, from what I gather from my research, since I live in a RP-3 zone, I can't even get a special use permit even though I have 1/3 acre yard. I have a friend in Emporia with a tiny yard and he has chickens, so it's a little perplexing. From everything I've read, chickens (hens that is) are less of a nuisance than normal domesticated pets, especially dogs. Case in point, I have a neighbor whose dog is constantly barking at night. They live 2 houses away & I can still hear the dog. I can't imagine that chickens are less desirable in a neighborhood than a barking dog that could get loose and attack someone. I'm thinking of just asking my neighbors to see if they would mind.

I haven't paid anything - I don't know how much it is or if I can even get a permit. Still trying to figure it all out.

I also live in Olathe and would like to raise backyard chickens. It seems quite unfair that neighbors can control your ability to keep a few chickens in your yard; we don't get to decide if our neighbors can have a dog.

I know there must be others in Olathe that would also like to keep chickens. When I pass most of the local magazine stands it seems there's always at least one magazine with a picture of chickens on the front cover. If those magazines don't sell, the stores wouldn't be stocking them.

I think there's lots of interest, but no one wants to fight the regulations, or they feel they don't have the ability to do that. People who would raise chickens are naturally peaceful people who enjoy the simple things in life. Those type of people will go out of their way to avoid any confrontation or complexity. I'm like that, but count me in if there's to be an organized group to educate and lobby in Olathe for this cause.

A friend who works for the city told me they are very aware there are lots of backyard chickens and this is an ordinance they do not enforce unless there are complaints from neighbors. Maybe they realize the laws need to be changed, but there has not been any outside pressure to do so ...

Thank you for having this group! I live in a subdivision in Olathe and I really want 3 hens as pets and for eggs! I am running into snags though, and I was wondering if anyone had any advise or experience
1. Homeowners association: says fowl is not allowed, but only result would be if neighbors complain then the rule could be used by neighbor to sue for troubles. I have talked with neighbors and they are fine with the chickens. So I am considering just going under the radar with this rule. I have heard it is too hard to get hoa regulations to change.
2. Olathe ordinance: I called the city, and allows chickens, but if less than 3 acres need a special use permit to be allowed to be a "farm" in non farm zone. The permit costs $370 and multiple meetings and red tape! I don't know what to do about this. Not only do I not have that much money to spare (especially after cost of coop and materials to start up), I don't want to pay that for the principal of paying government for being ignorant that a chicken is a pet and doesn't contribute anymore risk than a dog. I don't know if I can ignore this special permit and just hope animal control doesn't get called to my house...or if there is a way to change the special permit rule. Thanks for any information and help! I hope this red tape will improve as people become less ignorant about hens and we realize we have to take our food supply and helping the earth in our own hands and backyard and not in the hands of corporate farming and food corporations!

"Maybe they realize the laws need to be changed, but there has not been any outside pressure to do so ..."

I think it might be time to apply some pressure. We should do some online research as to what other citizens in other cities have done to get their ordinances changed.

I agree, there is enough interest and evidence to push for it. I will do some research and be in contact. The big thing that motivates city government is the potential for people to move elsewhere because it is such a big deal that people want chickens now. Let's move to next step, and that maybe a calling of a meeting of Olathe residents interested in urban chickens. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom