Things are Serious - I Need Your Best Tube Feeding Slurry Recipe & Medical Advice! Please Help!

AmyJane725

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 22, 2019
Western WA
This is kind of a continuation of my last thread.

My 2 year 8 months old Silver Spangled Hamburg hen Ildi is not doing well.

Had an abscess above her left eye in late December, and has had it opened and drained (scooped out) three times at the vet. She was on antibiotics for three weeks. 2 days from the end of the third course she started to go downhill very quickly. She was extremely pale, lethargic, cold feet, didn't want to eat or drink. I tube fed her the day before taking her to the vet as soon as it opened the Tuesday after MLK day.

He thinks all the antibiotics made her stomach feel upset (killed all the gut bacteria) so she doesn't want to eat, so I have probiotics and special dog/cat food to give her, but I haven't really noticed any improvement, and I feel like she's getting worse. She's not as pale as before the vet, but still not back to normal, and she's not interested in food or water at all. She pretty much just sleeps all the time. I've been syringing water and the dog/cat food to her, but I still don't think it's enough. Her poop is super dark green (which I have been told is starvation poop).

So, this is my plan:

I am going to tube feed her 3 times a day, and these feedings should equal the full amount of food she should be getting in a day, as well as keeping up the probiotics until she isn't starving anymore.

So, I need to know:

How much water should a 2.4 lb (2.7 lb before her medical issues) hen get in a day?

How much food should she get in a day (by volume)?

And what is your best, most nutritious and easiest to tube feed slurry recipe? And please be as specific as possible. What are the exact proportions of ingredients you use? If you're using baby food, what kind/flavor is it? I've been having problems with the food getting stuck in the tube and the end of the tube coming off the syringe and shooting out everywhere, and I don't think I have it in me to clean up another disaster mess like that again (it was EVERYWHERE! On the walls, blankets, shelves, etc. Just awful)

I have a 6 mm catheter tube that I use for feeding. I am open to getting a bigger one if you think it would be advisable. Please let me know what to buy.

And on top of it all I think her abscess is coming back. The skin above her left eye is starting to get puffy again, and this time she's holding the eye closed (she didn't before). And I could be crazy, but I'm pretty sure I saw bubbles in her right eye last night, so could it be she has some kind of respiratory thing too now?

Any help/tips/advice/comforting words are welcome. I'm so worried about her, and so tired. I'm at my wits end. Please help me. T_T

@azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @DobieLover @casportpony

Last edited:
I'm certainly not an expert but I can share my experience. I had a CCLB whose eye swelled up. This was her back on December 9th. You can see her comb is pale and she was lethargic, not eating or drinking.
20211209_174553.jpg

I sent this picture to the head of the poultry department at the University of Arkansas. He thought the bubbles could indicate MG although she didn't really seem to have respiratory distress. He suggested I put Terramycin in her eye. This would address the MG symptoms if she had it. You can get Terramycin at TSC down here. This was her just a few days later... She recovered quickly after the Terramycin.
20211213_122235.jpg

Anyway, I'm sorry your girl is sick. Hopefully it is NOT MG and she recovers soon! I'm sure the members who are far more experienced than me will pop in soon....

Thank you both for the bumps/info.

I actually have Terramycin ointment (that was the second Rx she got at the vet), but the culture said the E. coli in her abscess was resistant to it, so if it's the same thing coming back again I don't know that it would help.

I ran to the pet store and got that Kaytee Exact baby bird food and just mixed that up as thick as I could get it while still going through the tube and gave that to her. At least she has some food in her now. Her poop isn't ever gonna get solid while she's on tube food, but the color should get more brown/not green anymore, right?

I hope they come soon too. It's almost like the experts have lives outside of this forum or something, lol.

And I'm not crazy, she does have bubbles in her right eye. She's also breathing with her mouth open when she sleeps. Is this some respiratory disease now? MG?

And I'm not crazy, she does have bubbles in her right eye. She's also breathing with her mouth open when she sleeps. Is this some respiratory disease now? MG?
It could be.... Many birds can live with MG but it will flare up if they get stressed. The e.coli could have caused a trigger to make the MG flare up... I'm not sure where you live but usually there is a state lab or vet who can test for MG. Also, another BYC poster provided me with a link to a private lab who can diagnose MG by a throat swab. I can look it up if you are interested...

I live in Washington.
I'm going to take her back to the vet tomorrow, so I'll mention it to him.
I don't know if it makes any difference, but none of my birds have ever had it (to my knowledge) and I keep a closed flock. I got all of my chickens during 2019 and everyone has been healthy since. I've lost a few girls to reproductive issues, but not infectious diseases.

I don't know where she would have gotten it...

Is there anything else less horrible that causes eye bubbles?

Back
Top Bottom