Things I do after thirty years with chickens

At a week of age you are kind of limited in feeders. I am just happy to see them chowing down! In the Learning Center part of the site there is a section on feeders and waterers; there are lots of plans for different feeders in there, study some of the no waste feeders. I think they are too small for a treadle feeder!
I have 15-1 weekers and am using the mayo jar with a screw on, multi-hole base. I just sweep the excess spillage into a scrap bucket that eventually goes to the big girls. When the chicks get to where they are all up on top of the feeder, I usually change to the long metal version of your long plastic one.

Love some Seramas they are so cute and tiny. I have 2 OEGB and they are tiny but not fond of being held and brushed. lol

Have a question though to an old time chicken raiser, I have 6 chicks a week old in a large brooder they have managed to empty 2 different kinds of feeders which means spilled feed and chick poop don't mix well so alot of feed getting wasted. Their one feeder is the long plastic one where they stick their heads through and eat. The other is the small feeder that you pour the feed through the top and it comes out into the bottom round dish attached, Both they empty pretty much any ideas on a different kind of feeder? I've had plenty of chicks and duckling inside brooded but these girls take the cake of waste.
Oegb are my favorite bantam but they have leghorn personalities. They are fast and don't like to be touched.

The serama are unlike anything that I have ever observed. They have feelings and memory more than any chicken I have ever owned or observed.

For a feeder, let's remember the big professional brooders have the chicks stick their head out of the space into a feed trough. The caretaker can see the food levels and no soiled feed.

I accomplished this with a cereal box with holes through it and matching holes in the brooder box. I only brood small batches these days so disposable brooder boxes that the holes for food and water access get bigger and taller over time.

My adult birds have the hen hydrators, just buckets with 4 drip water nozzles underneath. I love them but they don't like to be sat down on the drinker nozzles. I broke a couple sitting it down to fill. Now I bring the garden hose to the waterer so the nozzles don't get broken.

This is Rabbit. I have had him since he was 2 weeks old. He stays in my hand by choice and will fall asleep being brushed.

I always move slowly while talking to my birds. I allow them to be free if they resist being held unless it's an inspection in that case I grasp them like a poultry judge showed me as a kid.

Palm under the keel bone, legs dangling, pinky and thumb each hold a wing. The bird feels supported and they don't/can't struggle if held correctly they feel safe.

Rabbit lowers his body and sits on my wrist as I type this. I dangle his posterior over the trash can because they have no control...

Attachments

• 20210624_073734.jpg
    20210624_073734.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 16245423023705192589330333481923.jpg
    16245423023705192589330333481923.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 6
4 little fuzzies. Sitting in a box, with their heads in another box full of food! And no contamination with leavings. One hole per bird, an extra or two there are a lot of birds.

These are Blue Easter Eggers from a hatchery in Michigan that ended up in a Colorado feed store!

As I was gazing into a tank of light Brahmas and barred rocks and just a handful of blue EES!!!! No other bird has green legs And Muffs And Beards as babies! Green eggs! My first birds as a child were EEs!

The employee taped a buy one,get one free sign up in front of me!!! I have very little self control, that pushed me over the edge and these four followed me home. $7.98 later...

Attachments

• 20210923_195002.jpg
    20210923_195002.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210923_195425.jpg
    20210923_195425.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom