Things I wish I would have known

It seems my runners are less interested in treats that they did not have as ducklings. So I would have offered them a wider variety of treats early on.

And the watering station. Took me a long time to figure that one out.

Amiga, can you please explain what you mean? What does your watering station look like now for us newbies? I am a person who would rather learn from other's experiences instead of figuring them out on my own
wink.png
. Thanks!

I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying different ways to keep the water mess down but still have them be able to get their heads wet and still have fresh(ish) water while I'm gone.
What I finally settled on was taking a casserole sized food storage container with a lid and cutting two rectangle holes out of the lid. Just enough room to put their heads in, but not enough to allow them to walk/splash in it. It's helped a lot. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Also, I only have 3 ducklings in the brooder and it's big enough that I put the water on one end with a potty pad under it, and change that every day and it's really kept the wet shavings to a minimum.

With our first ducklings we tried to make their brooder a kiddie pool but they quickly out grew that. We found it better to use a dog run on the concrete and just add more panels to it as the ducks got bigger!

Back
Top Bottom