things that make me say hmmmm???

Dadsteacup

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 10, 2013
South Dakota
hello all... i have had my little flock for 3 years now ... it has grown from 3 to 50 ... (i think i am officially running a "chicken rescue")
sheesh.. in South Dakota i am seriously an odd "duck"? Anyhooo.... i have noticed something odd that perhaps someone could help me understand, let me qualify that with NO i am not totally crazy... this is happening. I "rescued some chickens from someone who could not keep them anymore , they came to me in pretty bad shape the lady had been feeding them only bread... and whatever else they could scrounge... they looked HORRIBLE ... and being a novice chicken wrangler i just let the 11 girls in with my flock and ta da ... everyone got lice. fun. yuukky ok under control now i think and everyone (mostly ) has regrown feathers and seems more normal. but now.. oddly i noticed that my totally grey Araucana hen has gotten new red feathers... and one of my newest baby roo's is all black with red feathers ... but his hen and the daddy roo were white and red ... no one was black... i am confounded by these things ... anyone know whats happening here??? odd ... Gregor Mendel .... needed here ... :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! chicmom X2 I have a Black Australorp that the past two years has molted in some barring, obviously from some distant Barred Rock genes. These colors can show up at any time and disappear as well.

But wow, great that you could rescue these poor birds!! You are doing well by them and I am sure they appreciate you.

Make yourself at home here and welcome to our flock!

Welcome, I am so glad you decided to join us.
jumpy.gif

2 of my barred rocks changed colors end of summer with a touch of gold, but now with molt, they are getting only black and white stripes. Guess it's the same issue, genetics showing?

HOPE your new rescues don't give your flock anything else. It's very likely they have worms tho - since their care was lacking so badly. So good of you to take them in -it will be like they started their life over - in the best way possible.

Thank you for the warm welcome... something really appreciated here in SD.... :) i have been fairly quiet on here just reading , ( is that lurking?) love the info on here ... i have 50 chickens 3 geese (whom i love dearly) <---- this was a bit of a surprise!
2 very naughty ducks , a great Dane who "manages everyone ,7 guineas , 4 goats and Winston my 5 pound yorkie mix who provides back up for my Dane, Storm.... a very patient hubby and my 94 year old grandmother who lives with us. We are also proud grand parents of 4 ( 2 of each gender) yippeee

Back
Top Bottom