Things to put in the run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kchopper, Feb 27, 2011.

1. kchopper

kchopper Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Looking for some ideas for things to put in my run. Run is 20'x20' for 16 chickens, so I have some room. Right now I just have a 10' board about 5 feet up with a ladder. What else can I put in there? Just trying to find some ideas to make it look not so empty, plus give the chickens a place to hide, play, etc.....

2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    A doghouse, a chair, some planters... Anything, really.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

doghouse is good, I have an old crate/pallet thing that they roost on, and several log rounds from an old tree I figured would attract bugs

4. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    OMGosh lol now I have to decorate the inside of the run? LOLOL DH is gonna think I've done lost it!

5. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    I had some terra cotta pots sitting doing nothing so I put those in.. if you have a junk pile....throw it in there, they will love it. [​IMG]

6. AlabamaChickenLady

AlabamaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Oak Grove, Alabama
    How about a large rock?

I put a round (unsplit) log in there, then went up the road and found a 10 - 12 foot tree branch and proped one side up on the log and left the other side on the ground. They love it.

[​IMG]

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Fruit trees and/or tomato cages/trellis to give shade and free food dropping. (See my BYC page for pics of my everbearing Illinois Mulberry trees that drop mulberries for 10 - 12 weeks in the summer)

8. sawmane1

sawmane1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    I got 4 2x4's Nailed them in a rectangle. Then, I put chicken wire with verry small holes over the top. Finaly, i nailed on 2x2's or smaller to hold the wire on then...you have grass growers so the hens wont run out of grass.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. motoclown

motoclown Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    New Castle, PA
    I would like a large wooden ferris wheel.[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Seriously, this is a good idea. In an empty run with nothing vertical in it, a bullied chicken has no way to hide or get out of sight. The girls who are at the bottom of the pecking order will be grateful to you if "decorate" the inside of the run.

I think chickens also appreciate it when there is something to hide under in the run. Even though my runs have hardware cloth on the top and are perfectly secure from raptor attack, my flock still likes to hang out under something that makes them feel like they're hidden, whether a shade tarp, solid roof panel, or a bunch of bamboo branches stuck on top of the run.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by