things you feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by caspernc, Oct 24, 2010.

1. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Are eggs like cows milk? Will the egg take on the flavor of what you feed the chicken? I will never forget when my brother fed the milk cow onions! I didn't thing Daddy would ever stop spanking him I think he got whiped everytime Dad had to dump a bucket of milk. took a couple of days for the onion smell and taste went away. [​IMG]

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I've never tasted any difference in my eggs from what they eat. I do, however, notice a difference in the sulfur levels if I am consistent with keeping ACV in their water. The sulfur smell and taste is much less when I do this and I get more compliments on my eggs from buyers.

3. BitsyB

BitsyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern Delaware
    I was wondering about this too- My daughter said a few of their eggs tasted "fishy" but she had not fed fish to her chickens.
    Could flaxseed make them taste that way (because of the Omega oils)? They were free range chickens w/ access to a compost pile.

4. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Their eggs will taste like anything strong they eat like onions or garlic. [​IMG]

5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:I have heard this too, but I have not noticed it, yet [​IMG]

6. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    could be a new fad! Pre flavored eggs! I could make a million! Well maybe not but garlic eggs would be ok unless you are making cakes.[​IMG]

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I've fed garlic and onions and not noted any difference in taste whatsoever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by