Things You Wish You Would Have Known?

I decided against ducks do to the doo doo
bun.gif
situation. I know they are full of personality, but so are my hens and roo. Anyone have anything to share about Turkeys? I still have a want for a few Palms.

I decided against ducks do to the doo doo
bun.gif
situation. I know they are full of personality, but so are my hens and roo. Anyone have anything to share about Turkeys? I still have a want for a few Palms.
well...I got nothing on palms to add my 2 cents to other than they are very beautiful birds and this one piece of property that my son and I went hog hunting at, the folks had palms just walking around everywhere and there was a palm hen there that picked him out and followed him till he picked her up and carried her around.but for a bit. Every time he put her down she'd follow him around for more.
Very sweet bird. And pretty. Dunno if you've see this page or not so...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=royal+palm+turkey

well...I got nothing on palms to add my 2 cents to other than they are very beautiful birds and this one piece of property that my son and I went hog hunting at, the folks had palms just walking around everywhere and there was a palm hen there that picked him out and followed him till he picked her up and carried her around.but for a bit. Every time he put her down she'd follow him around for more.
Very sweet bird. And pretty. Dunno if you've see this page or not so...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=royal+palm+turkey

Have had geese, turkeys, chickens, goats, pigs, dogs, cats, rats (domestic), mice, etc...
Love geese as watch dogs, they make noise & come charging with their wings flared out & they do give a good bite but like ducks their poop is a wash down every day. Turkeys we had a pair that we picked up at the feed store as chicks (didn't know we had a pair), daughter was happy they turned out to be a pair. However, the Tom got very protective of the Hen so they ended up in the freezer at 5months. They dressed out nice, skinned & still got a golden brown...deliciously sad. Chickens I continue with, although I raise them until egg laying age & they get sold every summer, I make my Grandma trip & no babysitter.

The poop is what keeps me from trying ducks & getting more geese :(

...deliciously sad.
That made me chuckle a bit, I know the feeling. When I was a young Will we ate my goat and I didn't know it till my plate was empty. Think I may have said something like that...
One day, we'll have our spread and have geese and turkeys. Maybe not geese...have a distant but still vivid memory of being flogged by a mean mean mean one

That made me chuckle a bit, I know the feeling.  When I was a young Will we ate my goat and I didn't know it till my plate was empty.  Think I may have said something like that...
One day, we'll have our spread and have geese and turkeys. Maybe not geese...have a distant but still vivid memory of being flogged by a mean mean mean one 

Dont know if irs true, but i was told turkeys are so dumb they look up in a storm and drown. I dont think i believe THAT one. Here they just walk all over the place wild.

Okay, the horse pelleted bedding is working SO much better in the duck brooder than the shavings! I just have to give it a stir twice a day and the sawdust sinks and the intact pellets come to the top, ready to absorb more moisture. This is something I wish I had known...in fact, I think I may have read it on this thread!

Dont know if irs true, but i was told turkeys are so dumb they look up in a storm and drown. I dont think i believe THAT one. Here they just walk all over the place wild.
Yeah, I don't believe that either, If it were true, when people go out hunting and it rains, we'd see turkey laying around...like a "pick n save" don't you think? Pick em up, no $ for shotgun cartridges. I been out there caught by the weather during turkey season and all every happen from that is I sit there getting wet. No free labor turkey for me.
Okay, the horse pelleted bedding is working SO much better in the duck brooder than the shavings! I just have to give it a stir twice a day and the sawdust sinks and the intact pellets come to the top, ready to absorb more moisture. This is something I wish I had known...in fact, I think I may have read it on this thread!
Doncha just love this site? Got you a question, post it and answers come. Ideas all over the place and you meet people and get the info on up coming swaps and all that!

That stuff is great for so many things!
Other than providing bedding for the goats and chickens, we've got a low spot in our garage- we built a little mini-foothills range (3-4") using the pellet material at the problem area and it acts like a dam. Gets wet, dries itself, waits for the next time.
Also wonderful stuff for loosening up clay soil for planting, before or after ... "use" ...

Has anyone tried this stuff in a chicken coop?

Back
Top Bottom