Things You Wish You Would Have Known?

I wish I would have know how much hatching in winter SUCKS!! the effort to keep them warm, the smell that seeps into the house from the basement is horrific even when changing bedding on a daily basis, the demand in time is significantly greater, and did I mention the smell????
Have you tried adding some Sweet pdz to the bedding? It has helped in the coop. How many chicks do you have at a time?

Well, we're almost done with the tractor and will be putting the chicks out in it over the weekend. We're already talking about getting more!
ep.gif
gig.gif
I totally understand. I came home with 9 chicks when I was supposed to come home with 5. That was last June 22. We now have 6 laying hens, 16 week olds: 5 EE pullets, 1 Bielefelder Roo, 10 week olds: 1 CCL roo, 1 CCL pullet, 1 RIR pullet, 6 week olds: 6 EE straight run chicks, 5 week olds: 2 CCL pullets, 3 week olds: and 4 French Black Copper Marans straight run chicks.

Did I mention the 36 eggs in the incubator from our flock?

My recommendation is to stay away from incubators!
lau.gif

My husband, who is the one who builds all this, says there is no future. I thought it would be fun to have a coop full of Bamtams. But, the coop was done mostly. It was stuff like roosts, makmg it so no predators could get in, etc. We are waiting on the poultry netting. And we made some shade, trying to keep the sun from beaing on the coop. But Thank God, we got them out a week ago Tuesday.
Lisa

This ^^^^^^ really can't be stated enough times for anyone just starting. We had the coop, bought it used. Really simple right? Just clean it out, make new roosts, make it predator proof....no big deal. Right. Until Mother Nature made it impossible weekend after weekend to really work on the chicken house. :( so I guess what I wish I knew or had abetter understanding of is like has been repeated so many times: have your coop and run READY because the unexpected will happen over and over until finishing everything turns into what seems an unending nightmare. Second, as a newbie.....don't get your first flck in groups (like I did 6 and 6) just don't make that unnecessary trouble for yourself at the beginning. I am immune to chicken math because I don't care for integration issues but that could just be me. :rolleyes:

Agreed. I think it's also inevitable that we find our flocks outgrow that first coop before we know it (chicken math). In cases where a larger coop is needed/wanted, or maybe even one that functions better for our individual tastes,it's a great idea to hold onto the smaller/not so functional coops (for permanent accommodations) to use for isolation purposes. One never knows when they'll have to separate certain birds for countless reasons or when adding new flock members and not having somewhere to put said birds is a problem.

Now this goes back nearly sixty years and is all the aha moments, which btw are happening still.
If a person can build it, a determined, hungry animal can break in to it.
You have to be 10% smarter than critter you are dealing with at the moment.
A good broody hen is worth her weight in gold and is to be cherished.
Today's pet stores have amazing variety of heat lamps and BEST since sliced bread are ceramic heat emitter fixture.
Zero tolerance of rodents supported by good preventive practices.
Chickens are day time active and if I leave feed out at night I am feeding rodents.
If I would not drink out of it why would it be healthy for my birds?
Best preventative for trouble is to open coop door in morning and verify birds go eat and drink and act normal. In evening about hour before roosting feed and make sure all have healthy appetite anddrink water. Empty crop coming off roost, full crop going on roost.
Portable, cheap, easy to build hoop house that gamefowl folks ues mke excellent grow out and breeding pens.
In TN it is best to deworm at least twice a year.
Livestock Guardian Dog right up there with good broody in terms of value.
Electric fence and netting are very useful.
Land and waterfowl are the most amazing, interesting critters to watch and hang out with. I am proud to say some of my best friends have wings.

I did not know everyone orders chicks way way in advance, and I ended up getting surprise mix of breeds. I like them, buy there are a couple so friendly, I wish the whole flock were like them.

I did not know everyone orders chicks way way in advance, and I ended up getting surprise mix of breeds. I like them, buy there are a couple so friendly, I wish the whole flock were like them.

That's a great way to learn which breeds you like and want more of and those you don't.

This ^^^^^^ really can't be stated enough times for anyone just starting. We had the coop, bought it used. Really simple right? Just clean it out, make new roosts, make it predator proof....no big deal. Right. Until Mother Nature made it impossible weekend after weekend to really work on the chicken house. :( so I guess what I wish I knew or had abetter understanding of is like has been repeated so many times: have your coop and run READY because the unexpected will happen over and over until finishing everything turns into what seems an unending nightmare. Second, as a newbie.....don't get your first flck in groups (like I did 6 and 6) just don't make that unnecessary trouble for yourself at the beginning. I am immune to chicken math because I don't care for integration issues but that could just be me. :rolleyes:

No, I am pretty much agreeing with you here. I would have to do something like get an income to get more. And our coop, even though we followed directions on size, I am surw will not seem big enough when they are grown. And we would have to clear some land.
I have no desire to make chickens get along. I have one already whose main agenda is to charge her sisters and be quite pushy and rude. So far, no one is letting her get the upper hand.

BUT, I cant remember name of breed, but the smallest chicken in the world would be fun. Topping out at 1.5 pounds, its smaller than a Chihuahua?

Back
Top Bottom