Things You Wish You Would Have Known?

Thank you so much for the welcome and the input! I'm laughing, looking at my original question, because I realize I was sooo excited today to know that I can finally get started with chickens, and can place an order for chicks, that I lost half the capacity for clear communication. :)
My coop will be 5x5 and will be off the ground. The run area will 78 sq feet, with the area underneath the coop included in the 78 sq ft. The coop itself will be approx 4 ft high - so the roof will be a little over 6 ft. I have the option of making the coop 5x6, which from what I've heard so far might be a good idea!
I was wondering whether to start off with the number of chicks that would be put it at full capacity when they're grown (6 or 7?) or start smaller, maybe 3 or 4? Seems like a silly question but I've heard some say that it's best to start small then add on later... I think I'm just overly excited and freaking out already! lol Thank you so much for the welcome and your thoughts! I appreciate it. :)
Are you building your own coop? I strongly suggest that you do so. You will end up with a better product, and more bang for the buck if you build it yourself. If you have the option of going 5 x 6, I suggest that you go 4 x 8. This will provide better use of materials if you are using plywood. You could build a shed style, with full length window under the eve on the front, with roof sloping down to the back 4' wall. 4 sheets of ply wood used for walls, plus what ever you do for your roofing. Be sure you have lots of ventilation, and lots of light in that coop, cover all openings with hardware cloth to make it varmint proof. Skirt around the coop and run to keep diggers out. Under coop access for birds to have cool spot in the summer is good. Outside nest box access is also helpful, as well as a nice sized clean out door so you can shovel the bedding straight out into the run. With such a small run, they will quickly kill all of the grass in it. A deep litter in your run will be your best friend. I would start out with 4 birds the first year, and add more the following year or even the next year. IMO that size coop would be maxed out with 5 - 6 birds. Under stock to allow room for winter grumpiness, and to allow for the possibility of a broody hen. If you do end up with a broody, you could foster a few chicks to her, or supply her with a clutch of fertile eggs. A rooster in a set up this size would not be a good idea.

Thank you so much for the welcome and the input! I'm laughing, looking at my original question, because I realize I was sooo excited today to know that I can finally get started with chickens, and can place an order for chicks, that I lost half the capacity for clear communication. :)
My coop will be 5x5 and will be off the ground. The run area will 78 sq feet, with the area underneath the coop included in the 78 sq ft. The coop itself will be approx 4 ft high - so the roof will be a little over 6 ft. I have the option of making the coop 5x6, which from what I've heard so far might be a good idea!
I was wondering whether to start off with the number of chicks that would be put it at full capacity when they're grown (6 or 7?) or start smaller, maybe 3 or 4? Seems like a silly question but I've heard some say that it's best to start small then add on later... I think I'm just overly excited and freaking out already! lol Thank you so much for the welcome and your thoughts! I appreciate it. :)

The only thing that would bother me is that 2' under the coop the chickens have access to. That can be a real pain when someone decides that would be a great nest box.

I wish I had known that when you tell someone the dimensions your coop should have, you are thinking about the inside measurements while they think of outside measurements.... After framing in 2x4s our coop is quite a bit smaller than planned...

The only thing that would bother me is that 2' under the coop the chickens have access to. That can be a real pain when someone decides that would be a great nest box.
True, that. However, one needs to weigh the benefit to the flock against the convenience for the keeper. If you have plenty of shade options, or provide a roof over the run, that would be far better. I find that I can reach the errant egg under my coop with a long handled rake. If I do so carefully, and do a visual inspection daily (which I do) any eggs can be salvaged. The only eggs that end up under my coop are the "oops" ones.

I wish I had known that when you tell someone the dimensions your coop should have, you are thinking about the inside measurements while they think of outside measurements.... After framing in 2x4s our coop is quite a bit smaller than planned...
All the more reason to build bigger than you think you really need it to be. After those walls are studded up, it's amazing how much smaller the building gets! Always looks bigger on paper.

I say go big as you can manage/afford because if its too small its hard to make it bigger, but if its a good size to begin with you can section it off for young, brooders, injured, etc. Its hard to redesign something that's too small. I really think some good roost make a huge difference in temperament of the flock. I used to have open rafters across my 12x12 coop. I put a roost at every 2 feet until it reached the rafters. All the birds (60+at one time) had all the room to sleep safe. Right now I am using an old enclosed trailer (borrowed) with wire shelves that the birds roost on. We did attach a limb across for a roost but they like the shelves. Of course they never had any older birds show them and are learning on their own.

Congratulations!  Since you have ordered your chicks for September delivery and will have your coop ready for them before they get here (smart!!), here's a thread and an article you might want to check out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

Lots of us are raising chicks this way and will never go back to dangerous, hard-to-regulate heat lamps again!  And you can take it one step further and brood them outdoors from the start as well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

Good luck with your chicks!
Thank you so much Blooie! I was following the first time chick parents this spring and hit upon one of your posts about MHP. I love the idea! And thanks so much for the links! I've been thinking that I'll need to find those links, order the right heating pad, study your step-by-step instructions for construction etc. This helps immensely. One question I have is how big of an area should I section off for them while they're still quite young and small? And what bedding should I use? There is a very thick layer of leaves in the area of the yard where the coop will be. I think they'd get lost in the leaves. I'm guessing I should rake it out and put something smaller down at first? Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
I used pine shavings for mine but they were raised inside in a brooder. I don't think you necessarily have to rake the leaves out. I wouldn't if I had that. I say use what you already have :)

Isn't that just the weirdest thing? The older they get the more I agree with @rancher hicks
weird looking birds..

I know I keep coming back to this pic of one of my CLB's but every-time someone says weird...and birds... I think of this shot.
lau.gif
She just so captures the "weird"

Congratulations! Since you have ordered your chicks for September delivery and will have your coop ready for them before they get here (smart!!), here's a thread and an article you might want to check out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

Lots of us are raising chicks this way and will never go back to dangerous, hard-to-regulate heat lamps again! And you can take it one step further and brood them outdoors from the start as well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

Good luck with your chicks!

THIS is the most awesomest thing ever! Unbelievably easy to make and safe as you can hope for if you don't have a mama or pick not to use a mama for whatever reason. My RIR twin terrors loved it. They more often than not sat up top of it rather than be up in it

Back
Top Bottom