Things your hometown is famous for . . . .

My current town I don't think is famous for anything but I grew up in Canon City, CO and it is famous for the Royal Gorge Bridge the highest suspension bridge in the world. Also Canon is surrounded by prisons. I lost count years ago but last I knew there were at least 15 and they have built a few since then. A few miles down the road in Florence is the Federal Pen and it housed the UnaBomber I think and some other really notorious guys but can't remember who off hand right now. Oh people say that Canon was the place where the KKK originally started. Thank God we are past those days!!

Some pretty crappy things to be famous for except for the bridge!

Last edited:
How could I have forgotten the big amusement park here, Knoebles Amusement Park, largest free admission amusement park. www.knoebles.com Check it out, great for families. Campgrounds and nice local hotel/motels too.

Lewes Delaware is the First City of the First State, located on the coast of Delaware. It was first inhabited by Pirates.
cool.png
cool.png
cool.png
cool.png
cool.png
cool.png
cool.png

Clyde, OH 43410 is in Northwest Ohio, near Lake Erie, and Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky. Located in Sandusky county.

The famous author/writer, "Sherwood Anderson" lived here and wrote the book, "Winesburg" about the goings on of real people in Clyde. The book was so scandalous and revealing it was BANNED in schools. Sherwood taught other famous authors such as Hemingway about how to write. He was a writer's writer!

General James "Birdseye" McPherson was born and raised in Clyde Ohio. Highest ranking general killed in the civil war. His house is on tour here and a cemetary is named after him.

President Taft stopped in town and gave a speech while traveling through in his railcar. Another home is on the historical homes list where this occured in town marking this event.

Whirlpool Corporations has been making washing machines here for all of you to use since it's beginning. During the world war II, tanks were made at the plant instead.

There was a movie made in Clyde about a returning actress, Welcome home Carmichael or such. It wasn't a huge hit, but it was a big event here.

Every year we have parades in town for all sorts of events including Halloween, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Winesburg Christmas. There is a Clyde Country Fair and on Sunday they have go cart races running all day.

The town is big on sports and supporting sports in the school and has a population of about 6000 or so people. Whirlpool employs 3000 but not all are from here, but there is a huge influence on the town with so many having worked there for so many years.

Unfortunately, Clyde is also the locus of a "Cancer Cluster" where many area children have come down with cancers, maybe 10 or so and a govenment study has found no cause............

CHICKENS are currently not allowed in Clyde 'for sale or for use' according to the Zoning Ordinances, but according to the General City Ordinances, a minimum of 6 chickens must be bought or sold and chicks cannot be dyed!! The Zoning ordinances takes precedence! Guess mine are all pets!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom