Things you've learned while building your coop...

Pics
I have to say that this thread couldn't have come at a better time for me. Today, I made three trips to Lowe's to buy supplies to build my very first coops and three times I left empty handed. Well, except for a wire cutter. I'm new to chickens, I only just got my first two pairs this week. Their coops are currently my two large wire dog kennels. I live in Houston and the summers here are so hot and or wet. I've been stuggling with ideas for designs for the coops. I want optimal ventilation because of the heat but need the protection of solid walls to keep them dry during the rainy season. Cold weather isn't really much of a concern here. Snakes are though, rattlers, cottonmouths, copperheads, and coral snakes are common in my area. I fear them taking up residence in my coops more than anything else. I've read every one of your posts and now have a clear and definite idea for the perfect coop for me. Thank you to everyone for sharing. I look forward to getting to know you and your peeps!

With kind regards,
Annabelle
Houston

Quote:
Lol. This is even true when building a cheap coop. We salvaged or borrowed all of our plywood and roofing, and were hoping to only spend money on chicken wire. Well the chicken wire was 15 dollars and the screws and nails brought the total up to 28 bucks. Almost twice as much!

I could have been happy only spending twenty eight dollars. It was the near two hundred on two coops for two pairs of chickens that I was having trouble swallowing. I think my trouble was I was thinking more hutch type like a rabbit and less about what a chicken's wants and needs are and I never even considered that I might need to get in there to do "maintenance". I sure am glad that I stumbled upon all of you.

Thanks for all the great ideas, this is my first post here. I'm trying to layout my first coop. I want to get 100 chicks. I know that's a lot to start out with but I have 20 acres of farmland and it's time I started using the land for mare than just vegetables.

I have plenty of space and I don't want to buy chicken meat or eggs from the store again once I get started.

I have a good friend who works at a commercial chicken farm that produces organic eggs and another friend who has been around chickens most of his life.

They both have similar ideas about certain things but conflicting ideas about others.

I want to raise Hubbard Isa browns for eggs and silverlaced wyandots for eaters and to help along in winter egg production.

Keith, my friend who works on the commercial farm says insulate the coop and my other friends says not to. He wants me to put insulation in to keep the hens at a more constant temp which will keep my hens laying more eggs more consistently.

The winter temps get pretty cold here in Mid Michigan not usually below zero but it can happen and the wind chill can be real nasty also.

The thing is most of my birds are going to be eaters not layers.

I'm thinking I need to separate the laying hens from the other birds in the coop and insulate their area only.

I was already planning on keeping a separate rooster area or 2.

Now I'm thinking I'm going to need 3 or more separate runs.

The other thing is square footage. I sure don't want to over crowd my birds and I want to have fairly clean birds if that's possible. Keith says 2 square foot per bird will do because Isa browns and wyandots aren't big birds.

Any suggestions for this rookie?

Quote:
I would insulate. Hands down the best thing I could have done for my coop. Even better than the flat panel heater I run in the worst part of winter. Also insulation helps with the heat during summer.
I would plan at least 4 sq per laying hen. Mine have been in their coop for days at a time during winter and overcrowding is just asking for trouble.
A separate area for the meat birds sounds like a good idea. I never raised a meat bird so I don't know their requirements.
I have both ISA's and SLW. My ISA's tended to be egg bound prone but are still living after 2 years. The SLW I have is a good layer. Very solid stocky body so probably will make a fine table bird.

greenhorn-
welcome-byc.gif
join us on the Michigan thread. Lots of folks in Mid-Mi.

Last edited:
Here's an idea for the floor. Makes it predator proof as far as them digging in. We took 12x12 or 16x16 square concrete patio stones, laid them out like tile, then "grouted" in between them with quikrete. That makes it really really easy to scoop out with a plastic shovel.

Oh, even if you think you've built it big enough, it probably isn't, lol. We are in the process of building a second coop, oh yeah, two doors on this one, that way we can separate down the middle if we ever need to in the future. We used osb on the sides of it, thats a real cheap option, although it wont last as long as that siding stuff,(going to paint it, that will help a little) but unscrew a few screws, and voila, pop in a replacement sheet if ever needed. It's not as pretty as my first coop, but hey, I'm a cheapskate.

Back
Top Bottom