Think chicks can move outside yet?

cjweaver13

Chirping
Jun 18, 2021
Northeast Pennsylvania
I have 16 chicks that turned 4 weeks old today are are living in a large watermelon box in the upstairs garage where it's been consistently around 70-80°f.

When would you say it's safe to move to the outside enclosed coop? I'm in Northeast Pennsylvania and the foreseeable future says nights will be anywhere between 60-70° with days ranging in the 70-80s. There's no electronic out there so id have to run an extension cord, but can if needed for an overhead plate style heater.
AFED1183-5AB8-4334-BC68-2EE6DA28B899.jpeg

Hi, I am also in NEPA. I just moved my little 3 weeks and 6 weeks into the coop yesterday. They have a heat plate if they need it, but the coop (actually its part of a shed we have) stays pretty warm (I have a fan blowing in there as we have older chickens as well that use it), and I haven't seen them under the plate in a week (they were in a brooder in my garage). I have been keeping a close watch on them and they are doing fine, super happy for the extra space! We had a tornado warning last night, and of course I freaked out a bit and almost brought them back in... I think I was more terrified than they were 😕😏.

I put my chicks in the coop 4 weeks ago at 4.5 weeks old.
Temps were forecast to drop to the low 40s F/5 C a couple of days later.
I hooked up a heat lamp with a plug-in dimmer switch for the two nights. They did fine.
Sixty degrees overnight for 4 weeks old should not be a problem in a well ventilated draft free coop.
20210614_193119_resized.jpg

5 of 8 Pullets at 2 months old.
20210712_151710_resized.jpg

GC

Back
Top Bottom