Think I gave wrong feed, what now?

NoSleepTillBrooklyn

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 17, 2011
I was reading through here, and saw posts about feed store people being wrong and giving laying feed instead of pullet grower, and now that I'm thinking about it, I think that happened to me about 2 weeks ago. I have 2 month old pullets and I think when I asked what to feed them, I'm pretty sure she looked at some "protein" chart and said something about laying feed. I can't tell by the bag, because it's a granary style place, they bag the feed themselves. So now I'm panicking that I've done something horribly wrong to the poor girls. Should I switch back (if indeed I do have the wrong feed?) Have I caused some damage?

Really worried now.

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif

First, don't be really worried, because that won't really help.
big_smile.png
Yes, I would switch back. At least until they are 16 weeks. The major difference is the your birds have had extra calcium, and probably have lower dosages of other vitamins. That isn't tooo bad... If you did not feed the medicated starter feed your birds might be more susceptable to coccidiosis. That usually sets in when they are chicks. So if you made it past 8 weeks the probably won't get that. I would switch just to make sure they have the minerals needed for body development.

Don't worry, you didn't do too much harm. Lot of folks just feed layerfood past the first 8 weeks because they have a mix flock anyways. But if you want the eggs, I would go starter grow for 16 weeks then layer. Good luck!

No need to worry about anything they will be fine.

I feed starter until they are about 16 weeks old, then switch to layer.

Some people use starter, then grower, then layer.

It doesn't matter too much, you can even use layer in a pinch if you run out of grower and vice versa, as long as it's temporary and not used for a long time.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and the advice. I'll go out tomorrow and get something more well labeled. I felt like the lady at the store was a little cavalier about what she was selling me. If that makes sense. Will use my regular store from here on out, I only went to this place because it was closer and I was really busy that week. Will fix it asap! Thanks!!!!

Put them back on starter today. Will probably keep them on it for a couple weeks, switch to grower then layer when they start to lay. Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom