Think I have a double yolker, gonna need all the help I can get!!!

guinea fowl galore

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Australia
so I put a huge egg in the incubator without thinking, typical me
roll.png
and I candled yesterday and it sure looks like theres two in there. so I was wondering what I am going to have to do when it is hatch time. I will need all the advice anyone can give me.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness. I really don't know, All I can offer is support, Don't you think you should remove the egg from the bator? I would really like to help
sad.png
..........someone will know on the BYC
big_smile.png

well I kinda want to give it a chance and I think that removing the egg from the incubator is just the same as killing a chick, the only difference is that you can't see the chick in the egg slowly dying.
Just my opinion
big_smile.png

SOOOOOO many people have attempted and failed to hatch a double yolker.

The reason so few hatch is that an egg is meant to have one hatchling, so when two develops, the problem does indeed occur at the time that they begin to hatch. When they begin to push out, one will push against the other, killing it. Since the other is so soft, the one pushing never gets a good....push, so to speak, and seldom hatches.

There is a thread on BYC documenting success! I must say, it is a BYC classic....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=104245

I wish you success on the hatch!

Claudia

What I was thinking of doing is when it pips or when the others have hatched is to break away the shell being VERY carfull and hatch it out, if they can't hatch themselves.

I've heard of it being sucsessful. There is a video on youtube where someone did hatch two chicks out of one egg, I'll see if I can find it.

Yep found it here you go. There are two parts to it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom