Think I have underdeveloped/dying eggs....help please

I left my temperatures set in the ballpark of 99-102....usually they hovered between 100 and 101, and then later, 99-100. The humidity was left at nearly 60% the entire time as I was unsuccessful at getting it any higher during the last three days. The last chick to hatch last night looked like a goner when we finally got her out of the egg manually. She was not positioned correctly, and the fluid in the egg was drying. Once out, she was soaked in the fluid which then dried, which left her eyes dried pretty much shut and her wings stuck to her side. After a few hours of resting like that, we had to take a damp warm cloth and wipe her down from top to bottom and manually remove the umbilical cord or whatever. The next step was an emergency BATH for her to get her cleaned up. After her cloth bath, she wasn't looking good. She stayed in the incubator for several more hours. This morning, she had actually moved a little and was sitting upright, her down was still matted, but she was alert. We put her with the rest of her incubator mates in the brooder. Last I checked, she was coming around fine. I was sure she was going to die....she laid listless for many hours.

Good luck with your hatch. Let them work. We opened and candled our eggs without issue all the way to hatch day. We candled to make sure there was movement. We have one left, and I see no signs of any life inside, but it will remain in the incubator for another couple of days just to be sure.

so pleased the chick is doing well , im still sat waiting and its just now 2 days late
hu.gif
hopefully i will wake up in the morning and there will be 3 fluffy chicks then 11 more on the 19th , well one can hope
fl.gif
. i will keep you posted and well done again on your hatch

Souds like everyone is doing pretty good..i had about 4 eggs start to poke thru..then nothing..i read to help crack some of the egg to givethem a chance of breaking out...to no avail..theynever made it..only 2 bobwhites..but they r soo cute...i did all right..think i had a bad batch

coming into my 3rd day late hatch ?? dont no what to think , ive got up this morning to nothing and its so fustrating
barnie.gif
cant beleive there still is no sign ??

Have you candled them? Are they alive? I have one that is still sitting there, but candling it tells me it is no longer alive. Its just there for the very very very small chance that I am wrong.

Have you candled them? Are they alive? I have one that is still sitting there, but candling it tells me it is no longer alive. Its just there for the very very very small chance that I am wrong.
yes i have and i can still see some red vains but rest is full , on one im sure i can see somethink pocked through to the air sack but not sure . done the water test to and they float with the air sack up ??? i dont know what to do or think

But are they moving inside? If you can see veins and such, I would probably still be patient, whether or not you see movement.

But are they moving inside? If you can see veins and such, I would probably still be patient, whether or not you see movement.
they are dead jed , held them to see if i can feel movement and listened to see if i could here any thing and there was nothing , so i decided to open one and they had died , fully formed but were real dry inside and they looked quite big for the shell , bigger than ones ive had before so i think they couldnt get there head in line for piping ?? i have 14 other eggs all due between tomo and the 20th so fingers crossed with them

Sorry to hear that. :(

Is the humidity OK? If they ALL die, then Id worry, if just a few or a couple...well...thats just odds.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. :( Is the humidity OK? If they ALL die, then Id worry, if just a few or a couple...well...thats just odds.
everything else fine but i did notice that these chicks seem to large for the shell and couldnt bring there head around to pip , i have one pipping now day 21 so i hanging onto that they were to big to pip . fingers crossed but can hear it inside cheeping away
celebrate.gif
13 others left between now and 21st
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom