Think I have underdeveloped/dying eggs....help please

jed1154

Songster
14 Years
Jul 10, 2008
My eggs in my incubator have been taken off the turner as of wednesday. That was day 18. They are supposed to hatch Saturday or Sunday. However, there is a LOT of space in these eggs, like 1/3 of the egg is air or liquid. They are moving, inside, but not much. I EXPECTED these to be pretty much full by this time, as in, you can't see anything in them or through them because they are solid with a baby chick.

What's the deal? Humidity has been pretty close to 55-60% the whole time and temps have remained between 99 and 101 the entire time. I have a bad feeling here. Today is the start of day 20. The veins are very prominent on the shell interior. I don't ever recall seeing this much space before.

Last edited:
All except for three of mine pipped a round hole and then sat for several hours. Those I helped. Your's is moving along. Id let it do its thing! :)

I am in the exact same situation. But i have 3 hatched n doing well 3 more are poking thru. On day 24..

No. They don't look like they have enough mass inside to poke through. Seriously. There is a sizable air sack, and at least that much again in space of liquid...then the chick. At least 1/3 of the egg is still see through with the light. Maybe im jumping the gun, but they don't look much different than they did a week ago.

Oh...egg weights.

For instance, on day 17, Egg 1 was suppose to be at 34 grams, it was actually at 33 grams. Don't know if thats a lot or not. Another was supposed to be at 57.2 and was actually at 54 grams. Another supposed to be at 55.4 and was actually at 56 grams. They seem pretty close and on par. And they are still moving, but not near as much. For whatever reason, on wednesday, my temperature dropped to 98 degrees and has been there since tonight when I finally bumped up the temperature on the Ranco to 100 from 99 to offset it. Why it dropped I dont know, but it did and I just assumed my other two thermometers were wrong. I trust the Ranco more, but that's what happened. Currently, temps are at 99 degrees according to my two thermometers.....The ranco is reporting 100 and the sensor is nestled in the eggs.

OK, so I guess I was wrong. I have 6 chicks that hatched last night...actually they started pipping yesterday, two hatched last night, the other had to pretty much be hatched by my wife. They would pip and then no progress would be made for 4-6 hours. By that time, the membrane would be dry and tough. The one that hatched pipped and then rotated inside and broke the shell all the way around in a matter of a few hours and it was out. I have a few more to go that have pipped but I suspect they will need help. Is this normal?

My eggs in my incubator have been taken off the turner as of wednesday. That was day 18. They are supposed to hatch Saturday or Sunday. However, there is a LOT of space in these eggs, like 1/3 of the egg is air or liquid. They are moving, inside, but not much. I EXPECTED these to be pretty much full by this time, as in, you can't see anything in them or through them because they are solid with a baby chick.

What's the deal? Humidity has been pretty close to 55-60% the whole time and temps have remained between 99 and 101 the entire time. I have a bad feeling here. Today is the start of day 20. The veins are very prominent on the shell interior. I don't ever recall seeing this much space before.
i am also worried about my eggs 3 was due last night and still no piping , the rest are not due until 18th and 21st but they too have large air and space but still have a lot of movement . i am the same i havent seen this before , mine are normally full or almost full by these stages . my incubator has been stable all the time and on candling things have been how they should until now , confused
caf.gif

OK, so I guess I was wrong. I have 6 chicks that hatched last night...actually they started pipping yesterday, two hatched last night, the other had to pretty much be hatched by my wife. They would pip and then no progress would be made for 4-6 hours. By that time, the membrane would be dry and tough. The one that hatched pipped and then rotated inside and broke the shell all the way around in a matter of a few hours and it was out. I have a few more to go that have pipped but I suspect they will need help. Is this normal?
you really shouldnt help , however some do and some dont , i do help as i get quite upset to think the chick is in trouble and i could of helped . i would leave as long as you feel the chick is doing ok and then help . becareful when helping that the membrane has dryed as this could cause the chick to bleed to death if not . good luck and congrats on the others . keep us posted
big_smile.png

We were just really worried about a few of them. They wouldn't put up much effort at all to get out and I wondered if they were too big to turn over in the shell to break out. As for you Kay, leave them be. I was convinced mine were dead and drowning when I made this post. My wife said "chill out, the incubator is working, they have candled OK so far, so just let them do their thing". It's good advice. See how they do. Don't open it, don't mess with them. Remember....babies are due in 9 months.....exactly 9 months..right..never later, never sooner? **wink**

Last edited:
Well, we put 17 eggs into the incubator. After a few days, 12 candled to be fertile. Of the 12, 11 have hatched. Pretty sure the last failed a couple of days ago. Of the 11 that hatched, only 3 hatched with no intervention. The rest had 4-6 hours of no progress after pipping a hole. Odd. One was upside down and pipped ok but was not near it's air sack. It had to not only be aided but actually extracted because it started to dry out. Sheis resting now but is worse for wear. Well see. I'm pretty sure survival would have been impossible without interventio on many of them. Not sure what to make of that.

Back
Top Bottom