Think I know the answer but…

Dvalland

Chirping
May 17, 2021
NJ
Is this a roo? 12 weeks old. My other 12 week old has been crowing for weeks. This guy hasn’t made a peep. He is very affectionate so far. Not sure what breed since it is an “olive egger” I hatched from mail order eggs.
F6EDC3EE-4649-4374-829D-929FE7065CAB.png
23BF58A4-F7F8-450A-823C-05E29545B4A1.jpeg

Cockerel.
That’s what I was thinking. Pretty sure 5 of my 6 that I hatched are roosters. I have 14 sexed pullets but think I will still have to get rid of some roosters. They were raised together and have 10 acres, but I’m afraid they are going to hit maturity and try to kill each other. So far they still snuggle each other but only 12 week old.

That’s what I was thinking. Pretty sure 5 of my 6 that I hatched are roosters. I have 14 sexed pullets but think I will still have to get rid of some roosters. They were raised together and have 10 acres, but I’m afraid they are going to hit maturity and try to kill each other. So far they still snuggle each other but only 12 week old.
Unfortunately yes. You'll need to lower that cockerel number. Most likely down to 1. Might be able to get away with 2. Just depends on the individual birds.

Unfortunately yes. You'll need to lower that cockerel number. Most likely down to 1. Might be able to get away with 2. Just depends on the individual birds.
One is a silkie and much smaller than this guy and the other that I’m sure is f is a bcm. Should I wait and see who does best together? Does aggression normally escalate or come on at once? We are still finishing their coop so right now they are all in the garage and we haven’t had a single issue. Makes it hard to pick who stays and who goes.

I’m thinking cockerel as well, though I did have a pullet pink up quite early that has a similar feather pattern. Also an Olive Egger, but I’m pretty sure yours is a cockerel. This photo was from between 8 and 10 weeks.

Attachments

• 271CD53A-2809-4101-91C0-5829CB85B091.jpeg
    271CD53A-2809-4101-91C0-5829CB85B091.jpeg
    461.6 KB · Views: 4
One is a silkie and much smaller than this guy and the other that I’m sure is f is a bcm. Should I wait and see who does best together? Does aggression normally escalate or come on at once? We are still finishing their coop so right now they are all in the garage and we haven’t had a single issue. Makes it hard to pick who stays and who goes.
Normally problems start when they hit puberty. Even then, sometimes they can get along. Unless they try to challenge each other.

I’m thinking cockerel as well, though I did have a pullet pink up quite early that has a similar feather pattern. Also an Olive Egger, but I’m pretty sure yours is a cockerel. This photo was from between 8 and 10 weeks.
Hmmm interesting. Did she continue to get a larger comb and waddles? Here is this guy around 9 weeks.
88C2140A-2A91-4D31-AEE6-B1DD03A9D954.png

Back
Top Bottom