Think I may be losing one :(

Mwilliams32931

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 25, 2013
He seems to be having a harder time getting around and his head kinda droops every few minutes and it looks like his breathing is getting gaspy. I keep bringing him over to the water and it looks like he is getting some. I keep dipping his beak in. I would hate to lose one of my new little loves
hit.gif

Give him some time. Sometimes they can look a bit droopy when they are babies and some do grow slower than others. However not all babies are meant to make it to adulthood. Just keeping caring for him and if he develops any symptoms, post them here and we will get down to the bottom of it. :)

He is still here just hanging in. He is in a little quail pile with his siblings. I keep giving him drops off water off the tip of my finger. Fingers crossed he will be here in the morning.

If the quail are "piling" up then they are cold. You need to up your heat a few degrees. Use a good thermometer and get the heat up to 95 degrees. If they chill too much, they will die.

I checked the heat and it was at 90 so I bumped it up last night. I checked before going to bed and he was still struggling and this morning he was gone. All the others are fine. Toasty warm and earring and drinking and pooping like mad. Lol.

So sorry you lost him. Temp is very important for babies as they can not yet regulate their body heat. Especially the runt types. But you still have the others! Enjoy!

I lost 2. :(
One last night, and another this afternoon. I am disappointed in the loss, as well as the 4 eggs that didn't make it. But, it is the strongest of the fittest, and nature has it's own checks and balances.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to both of you! I haven't lost any yet, praise the Lord, and I just can't imagine those happy little boogers just up and dying like that! I hope you're able to keep the rest, and good luck with your next hatch!

Back
Top Bottom