Think I Might Have to Cull

WalkerH

Songster
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
Southern Maryland, USA
So I went to Pensacola for the weekend, leaving my ducklings and chickens under the care of my sister. About ten hours into the drive we got a call that one of the dogs attacked one of the ducks. Well already ten hours into the drive I figured my sister would be able to take care of the wound. I told her to rinse with saline solution and soak. It seems the wound is worse then first expected. I got home last night and found the wound was very deep. It is a deep cavity about an inch and a half deep, two inches long and half an inch wide. It was very black so I assume it is rotting. I don't know what to do at this point. The duck seems to be eating and drinking as normal and acts normal. I have her inside with the other duckling. I hate to kill her, but I don't want her to suffer. And I hate to say it but I am not looking for a 200 dollar vet bill at this moment, if I can even find an avian vet.

I have heard Vetericyn works wonders but it is $30 a bottle...honestly, I would rinse it a few times a day, maybe with a peroxide wash to eat that dead flesh and then pack it with raw honey. The good bacteria and enzymes in raw honey works wonders for flesh and wounds.

I would give the duck a chance to recover. you will know if she is giving up on life/in real pain. They seem to beable to recover from quite a bit, keep her safe, warm, feed, and clean and I bet she will be fine

I am. I brought her into my room with the other duckling. I know I won't give up unless she actually dies. She doesn't seem to be in pain, and perhaps it looks worse then it really is.

try to hold on unles shes really suffering,she could poll out of it.I wish her the best!!

Back
Top Bottom