Think I should mix 6 day olds?????? UPDATE..........

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mmajw, May 20, 2008.

1. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Think I should mix 6 day old chicks with chicks that are 2 weeks old?? I want to be able to put them in the same brooder, think its ok? Safe?

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  2. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    I was able to add some that were hatched on 5-7 to a batch hatched on 4-25 with no issues. I would put a test chick in and watch closely so you can rescue if needed.

3. HenMamma

HenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    Emmet TWP, MI
    I have had no problems with mixing chicks. My white rocks were 3wks old when I brought hone my 5 day red sex-links, they had no problems. A week later when I added the banty's and buff orp's the bigger ones actually cuddled the babies to keep them warm!

4. Shaun Hagan

Shaun Hagan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Northern NH
    I mixed my 2 week old Barred Rocks with my five-day old Cornish X last night while I was cleaning out the BR's brooder. It took all of a minute and a half for some serious eye-pecking to start. Keep an eye on them and see what happens.

5. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Well the feed store lied..... I got there to pick up these 6 day old chicks and what is in the box but chicks that are bigger than mine that are 2 weeks old. They have to be at least 3 weeks old.
    I left them in the cat carrier in the brooder so they could see eachother before I mixed them and then after about 20 mins or so I let them out and all has gone well so far.

I dont think they had alot of food at the store though because these chicks ran right for the food and water like they hadn't seen it in days.

Thanks for all your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by