Think I'm done w/ cornish x....whats second best?

The Rancho

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 2, 2010
I've raised several batches of cornish x and the results have been mediocre. I like the turnaround time and the feed conversion....that being said i don't like the flip or the leg problems. I have processed extra roos from my laying flock and loved the flavor/color of the meat. What is a good option for a 12-16 week process? my closest hatcheries are welp and privett but i might be willing to use a different one if the results are good.

There are several types of meat chicken. I believe they are all hybrids, but they are slower growing than Cornish Cross.

Freedom Rangers, Rossambros, colored broilers there are many different types of meat bird sold by the different hatcheries. If you do some reading in the meat bird section, you will find write-us about people's experiences with them.

Then, for purebred chickens, there are Dorkings and some blue-legged thing from France (Brese?) being sold by Greenfire Farms. Both of those are supposed to be superior in flavor.

One doesn't need to change from the CornishX wich is the most efficient converter of feed to meat in all of chickendom . There are very easy cures for flip and leg issues, all one has to do is search right here for the many, many posts for the reasons and changes one needs in one's management proceedures. Remember the old Scottish proverb... " The eye of the master fattens the cattle."

I running a generic black and red broiler right now. So far I like them but it is early (only week 3 or 4). I got them from a 'local' hatchery, don't think they ship. If I ever get shipped chicks for meat again I think I will try S&G Rainbow broiler. But they are expensive. They are also supposedly a stable breed that you can keep a few and make more.

Last edited:
I agree with Bossroo. But if you just want to try something else then go for it. Nothing wrong with change, as long as you are changing for the right reasons.

If you want to cure your leg problems give them riboflavin. This can come from brewer's yeast, kelp or beef liver. Whatever is easier for you.

If you are seeing a lot of birds flip you should reconsider the level of protein in your feed. We do 21% in the brooder and 19% on pasture and see almost no flip. We also let their feeders run empty at night, give them a good dose of probiotic in their feed and keep them supplied with grit (creek sand) for their gizzards. These simple things go a long way toward animal health even if you opt out of CX.

Good luck.

If you want to cure your leg problems give them riboflavin. This can come from brewer's yeast, kelp or beef liver. Whatever is easier for you.

I'd like to hear more about this. I usually have a 5-10% rate of leg problems in my CX and if it's easy to eliminate, than it's worth dealing with. How much brewer's yeast per # of feed or gallon of water? Certain type of yeast that works best? Etc. Thanks!

It doesn't take a lot, something like a half spoonful per pound would be plenty. If I were to pick, I would choose kelp meal over brewer's yeast as it offers a broad spectrum of minerals too. But we never restrict our birds to a bagged feed (even if we use bagged feed at all). We toss in fresh greens, alfalfa chaff and clumps of grass from the fence row. All of these boost chick health.

Back
Top Bottom