Think it's too cold for your chickens? Think again...

Sorry I'm getting better at the abbreviations but what are PBR's?? I only know it as a beer
lau.gif

edited for spelling
lol.png

we have white leghorn this is my first winter with them and I don't believe the temperature here has dropped under 23 yet. I will keep you posted as to how they hold up.

thought about water freezing. I know you can get heated water bowls. but if you need 1 in a hurry have a elct timer on hand and an old crock pot that should work for a small flock. you would have to take off observation to see what would work best but I would assume having it come on 15 or 20 minutes a few times a depending on temps

Last edited:
I have a request- when we do posts like this, please also state how many chickens you have and if possible the breeds, because every situation is different. That info will make this thread much more helpful.

For example, if someone has 40 Brahmas and Wyandottes, they'll be pumping out body heat on the roost and be happy in an uninsulated -10 coop, but if someone only has two Japanese Bantams or Sultans, they may possibly need supplemental heat in an insulated coop when it gets below 35 degrees.

Near zero this morning. They were still eager to go in the run. They haven't tried to run me over to free range since we got a foot of snow.
my white leghorns did fine at -25F. I have California Whites now (leghorn hybrid) - they are just pullets, but it's -13 outside and they seem just fine. =)

Last edited:
I think my post is now several pages back but I did state a little bit of detail documenting their age, condition of the coop, daytime and nighttime temps, etc. I especially made note that the group included 3 silkies, so hopefully that was helpful. I agree that it makes a difference especially knowing if they are bantams or not and how many you have total. Good request Gargoyle...

Back
Top Bottom