Think it's too cold for your chickens? Think again...

My enclosure is as safe as I could make it this summer. I dug a 10" trench around the bottom of the walls and attached 1/4" hardware cloth and buried it again. Plus I laid 8" paving stones around the base to keep out digging pests. I also did it once I learned on this site that chickens dig quite deeply too so I'm really glad I found that out before I got them. They could dig into the hardware cloth and get caught in it while I'm at work all day. I have more stones to put on the outside too. The enclosure used to be a wood storage area under a nice sturdy overhang built onto the side of the garage. The back wall is facing north so it is fully protected from the blasting cold wind that we get every winter. There are 3 sections 8' x 8', one is my gardening shed, one is still for wood and the 3rd one is now fully enclosed with 1/2" hardware cloth and chicken wire. The former owners were nice enough to provide the wooden 2x4's dividing it into sections. All we had to do was build a frame across the front and make a door.
I can proudly say that I found out how to make the door and did it myself using the compound miter saw, power drill/driver. ha ha What a woman will do to have little red hens. My spouse built the frame and helped with the door alignment. We finally brought them home on August 13th. The enclosure is shaded too, but has morning sun for them to enjoy when they wake up. I have the food and water outside the coop because it is so small. I was duped by the ad in the flyer. It looked a lot bigger in the picture. I took the part off that would be the run so that they could come out into the large run that I made. That is actually why I am concerned about the pop door. They get up before me and if the door is always closed until I get there I would feel bad for making them wait. I suppose once it gets really cold at night they won't mind waiting for the door. I guess I will see.

While I'm glad to be able to be thrifty and re-purpose an existing building instead of adding a small purpose-built coop, it's starting to occur to me that I may face challenges that I wouldn't face with an actual coop. As in, perhaps the space is actually too large...?

I had an outlet installed in their room, which I plan to use to plug in a heated pet water bowl once it gets cold.

The girls have chosen to roost on a rod mounted under one window.
So, now my question: I've read about folks putting out extra bedding for their chickens for the winters -- but, my guess is there won't be any point to doing so since my chooks are habituated to perching on that particular rod. Am I right?
If that's the case, although the room is draft-free at night (except to the extent I crack one or both of the windows), should I consider adding a heat lamp for the really cold (teens or single-digits) nights?

I wouldn't worry about it being too big.
Heated dog bowl is good.
They don't need heat RIRs were developed in RI right next to you and they didn't give them heat.
My question is how big is the rod they roost on? They need something wide enough so they can cover their toes when it gets cold. A 2X3 or 2X4 wide side up works well.

It's going to be 14 here this week. My chickens have sand on the floor. Should I put some shavings or something else to help keep warm? I guess I won't add my heat (thought I would) but wonder if I can do anything else to help. The sand gets pretty cold.

It's going to be 14 here this week.  My chickens have sand on the floor.  Should I put some shavings or something else to help keep warm?  I guess I won't add my heat (thought I would)  but wonder if I can do anything else to help. The sand gets pretty cold.  

I would, personsally, but they aren't on the sand (unless they're silkies or something). If they were on it, that would be one thing.

Anyone using sand in cold climates?

Yes, sand is my floor. They have roosts but they sleep on the floor. I have 3 d'uccles and 2 silkies. They are all around 7 months and they've always slept in huddles on the sand. Never, ever on the roosts.

Yes, sand is my floor.  They have roosts but they sleep on the floor.  I have 3 d'uccles and 2 silkies.  They are all around 7 months and they've always slept in huddles on the sand.  Never, ever on the roosts.  

That's why I'm clarifying with Alaskan. ;) Sand (obviously) retains heat, but can get equally frozen. The deep litter method works well to build up heat but seems to be not as dry overall for ground sleepers.

I have a regulstr roost in my bantam box. My male silkies get up just fine (it's regular height) as does my male d'Uccle. My girl silkies are the only ones that can't get up there without help. And one silkie girl has gone broody on me. It's going to be in the mid 20s soon......

they are talking 14 tomorrow night. I think I should put some shavings in there tonight when I get home. They just don't go on the roosts, one is really low and they just ignore it. Sometimes they will sit on it if they are up before I let them out, or maybe during the day, but never at night.

I'm going to worry, that's just me. I was on a silkie page on facebook and someone said it's going to be a hard winter on the birds. I'm going to get a big thing of shavings today at TSC. My coop isn't good for the deep litter because of the doors.

Back
Top Bottom